Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

2006 Perth International Cycling Grand Prix (56k Warning)

Well.. I haven't been outside to take any photography for two weeks now. I decided I wasn't going to shoot any more until I finished processing the backlog of images I've built up over the last couple of months... and even two weeks later I still haven't finished yet (Although I very nearly went to shoot the state athletics championships which are on at this weekend - I might still go tomorrow).

But the last thing I did shoot was an international cycling grand prix that was on in Perth two weekends ago. It featured riders from Australia, England, Malaysia, Scotland and the USA and was kind of a warm-up to the Commonwealth games (obviously not for the USA riders though).
Although not a large field, the quality of riders was extremely high. Five of the riders have olympic gold medals to their name and ten of them have been world champions at some time or another.
I was sick on the night and nearly didn't go. As a result I felt my photography was a bit down because I just couldn't think fast enough, but if nothing else the sheer volume of shots I ended up taking ensured enough keepers to make it worthwhile.

Below I've posted a few photos from the evening. I've included some of the traditional types of sports shots (back page of the newspaper type stuff) as well as a few where I've tried to add a bit of a creative dollop into the mix. Some work better than others and there are a couple in here which don't quite work but I'm posting anyway - if only so that others might see what doesn't work. Or perhaps you have some suggestions or ideas I could try next time to improve them?

Quite apart from the photography, its great to get so close to the action. Its pretty much impossible to appreciate the power and speed in these bikes and riders when you watch it on TV. And TV also doesn't capture the incredible sound and vibrations that you hear and feel when standing so close to the action. It feels more like a stampede than a race! Tongue

[Image: IMG_3607.jpg]
1. Overview of the track (women's Keirin heat in progress).

[Image: 73_IMG_3654.jpg]
2. WA's Travis Meyer leads the pack in formation past the "SpeedDome" sign painted on the track.

[Image: IMG_3658.jpg]
3. A closer shot of Travis Meyer later in the same race (curse that rail!).

[Image: IMG_3674.jpg]
4. The riders come off the bank towards the finish line.

[Image: IMG_3693.jpg]
5. WA's Peter Dawson (Olympic Gold Medallist and 2002-2004 World Champion) watches an official ring the bell as he leads the race into the last lap.

[Image: IMG_3771.jpg]
6. USA Olympian Christian Stahl rides past the camera as the next race is preparing to start.

[Image: IMG_3782.jpg]
7. The Scottish team power past the camera in the Team Sprint.

[Image: IMG_4142.jpg]
8. WA's Ryan Bayley (Dual Olympic Gold Medallist) glances around at the start of the Kierin heats.

[Image: IMG_4244.jpg]
9. Adam Semple rides past the camera and I discover the EF-S 17-85 IS can be used as a sports lens as long as I can use a flash. Tongue This is exactly the type of shot that convinced me to buy a 28mm f/1.8 lens.

[Image: IMG_4285.jpg]
10. I tried some panning on Travis Meyer with no flash and a slow shutter speed (1/45th sec). While there isn't much sharp detail I still quite like this shot.

[Image: IMG_4335.jpg]
11. A much more "sensible" yet almost identical shot to the last, this time of Peter Dawson. The only difference between this shot and shot #10 was an ISO change from 800 to 1600, shutter speed change from 1/45th to 1/125th and using a flash in this shot. Both shots were taken in the same race, same part of the track (ie same ambient lighting), and same EF-S 17-85 IS lens which just shouldn't be capable of capturing fast motion like this indoors at f/5.6! Big Grin

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Excellent series of imaes Adrian. As always.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Stunning images Adrian. Its interesting to see the balance between being creative and shooting a classic sports shot. Do you have your sports photos published?

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

awesome as usual. I'm not a sport lover, but somehow you make it interesting, even to me.

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

hi
great stuff

just to add, i think also what makes more intertesting the shots is the processing and duotones and selective colours as well the composition. everthing is well balance.

thanks for sharing

christian

Wow... I particularly like the use of wide and unusual angles, in #1 and #4... they're extremely well done.

#6 as well is superb - has a real arty feel to it.

Last but not least, your iconic "speed" photo is nothing short of spectacular. You've done it again, Adrian. Big Grin

Great shots as always!!!!
I like 1,4,9 amongst them!

Very strong images Adrian - well done.

Canon stuff.

Outstanding Kombi, again a pleasure to view.
I sometimes reckon your work is much better than perhaps you allow yourself credit for: though I loathe the destructivity of apportioning "genres", your work easily glides through "sports", "advertising", "documentary" and "art"...I'd shudder to think you'd ever draw back from shooting just what you want(trusting the eye you've been given rather than what some might tell you only works for a certain market). My own experience is small, but occasionally I've found that what folks really mean when they say stick to one style, is actually "I'm jealous of your vision and talent, so I'm gonna try and clip your wings". Your work has a special vitality Ade; these shots have it in spades.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

All great pictures Adrian...
I like very much you sepia treatment specially in the #2 and #10... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thanks Peto Smile

Smarti, some of my sports-related photos do get used by one or two organisations (WA Institute of Sport, WA Sports Centre Trust and a few Coaches, Teams and Associations). Mostly on websites and e-mail newsletters, but I have a few published in print in the current WAIS Magazine "Without Compromise" (a PDF version can be found at http://www.wais.org.au) as well as one or two in other publications like the WAIS Annual Report.

Jules and Adam, I'm really glad you like the wide-angles. Me too! Especially for sports like cycling where there are some really interesting shapes and relationships to explore. I need to shoot more of them. Big Grin

Smarti, Byrt and Zig, thanks for the vote of confidence with regard to my treatment here. Smile I wasn't sure if presenting these images together like this would actually work or not, and was tempted to split them across a few posts (ie a "creative shots" post and then a "traditional action" post, etc). I'm glad it seems to work for others too, not just me.
Zig.. as usual I'm flattered by your comments but can't help thinking you're looking at somebody else's photos by mistake Tongue One thing I will say about the fantastic positive comments I've received from you and others about my work over the last few months is that it has given me a lot more confidence to simply trust my eye and/or trust my gut (depending on which speaks to me the loudest Big Grin). I really owe the people here a lot for that encouragement - I feel like it is pushing me forwards.

And Irma.. I'm going through a little Sepia phase at the moment. Wink I seem to be using it quite a bit lately and find it makes me look at sports photos in a different way. In fact I've also started using a blue tint (as in shot #7) for a few shots too. Not for any particular reason other than it just seems to suit certain images somehow.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Quote:there are a couple in here which don't quite work but I'm posting anyway - if only so that others might see what doesn't work.
Kombi, I am struggling to find the one's that you say don't work. I think you have put together a great mix with this shoot. Would like to know your views on the one's you think don't work and why. Perhaps for me shot #6 I would have liked to see all of the USA rider but I still find #6 an interesting shot!

again fantastic series!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by NT73
Apr 27, 2012, 19:16