Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

3 graves

I took this shot in Arnos Vale Cemetery in Bristol, England.
Taken on Canon70d, 10-22mm lens.
First is the original, then colour edited in photoshop, then mono.
Comments please & don't hesitate to rework. Thanks. Webber.

[Image: _MG_1256_zpsjzbeuprr.jpg][/URL][/img]

[Image: _MG_1256%20three%20graves_zpsbqdrqnsw.jpg][/URL][/img]

[Image: _MG_1256%20three%20graves%20mono_zpsvd6q2ucl.jpg][/URL][/img]

No EXIF Data, so not aware of Lens angle. They may well have been at the angles shown, if not all I have done is straighten?? Cheers. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

The Canon 10-22mm is a really great lens giving 16-35 on full frame equivalent... but... that comes at a price... you can't get too close to your subject and ask the 10mm end to get it all in... it will bend the image away from the centre... better perhaps to lessen the wide shot and step back a little... get the perspective right and maybe crop to get your overall zoom in in post? You can always splash out on a Canon 60mm T&S lens... Big Grin I like the subject though and I look forward to seeing more of your photos

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

I like your edit Ed... seems about right... I say there is lens distortion just because the trees too are splayed in concert with the head stones... That same distortion though can sometimes be used to great effect, but it has to contextual.

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

The processing of a photo is dependent on why it was made. One possible purpose here might be to make a visual statement about the neglect of the graves - in which case the acute angles of the headstones (resulting from perspective distortion) help that impression. However, I would then suggest that a more natural rendition of the colours would better show the overgrowth of the graves by the plants there.

Cheers.
Philip

Thanks for your comments. I like this lens at the 10mm end because of its odd effects. If its kept level the distortion is very little but I like to get very close & very low to give the strange unworldly effect to the grave stones. I think producing the picture in high contrast mono adds to this.
Kind Regards.Derek.