Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5D Mark II Video Snapshot - Driving from Perth to Narrogin

This little video was taken the day I picked up my 5D Mk2. In fact it was the very first thing I shot with it.
I picked the camera up on a Friday afternoon and had just enough time to charge the battery while I packed up my things ready to go down to Tina and Katelyn's family farm near Narrogin for the weekend.

Tina drove while I was in the passenger seat mucking about with the camera, and this clip is the result of that drive. It starts in the afternoon in the outer suburbs of Perth and ends when we all arrive at the farm after the sun has gone down. The whole thing was shot from the passenger seat of my car on a trip where we didn't stop once along the way. It made for an interesting exercise having the camera restricted to a single location like that.

I'm not posting this because I think it's a good piece of video - I know it's rough. But I think it highlights both the potential and the pitfalls of shooting video on a DSLR. There are moments where I was thinking "wow, this is so cool" (the full moon illuminating the paddocks near the end, or the shallow DOF of portraits of Tina or Katelyn) and other times where I was extremely frustrated (mainly with the difficult manual focussing, but also with camera shake). I guess for me it is also a case of dipping my toe into the waters of video production.
Technical differences aside, I found the creative differences between telling a story with static images versus moving ones (with sound) to be both exciting and challenging. I can't wait until I've got some spare time to really explore this some more.

Oh, and the odd little "dream sequence" with the de-tuned TV effect and static images near the middle of the clip was just a bit of an excuse to experiment with Sony Vegas... We were driving through the town of Narrogin (where both Tina and Katelyn went to school) and Katelyn was asleep in the backseat, so I included some old family photos as flashbacks.

http://digitalkinetics.smugmug.com/galle...GVULu-A-LB

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Love it Adrian - I used the same feature to shoot some stuff in Singapore a couple of weeks ago. It was at night and so dark and yet the images are clean and grain free.

In the clip it looked like at one stage someone was driving and shooting video?

Thanks for sharing.

Canon stuff.

Pretty decent quality on that video - I found I had to let it buffer way ahead at that resolution or the streaming chattered. Been a while also since I heard that Zep song. Looks like a great road trip.

Thanks guys. It's not much, but it's still fun.

Chris - Not sure which bit you're talking about, but I did all the shooting and Tina did all the driving.
I'm looking forward to seeing you Singapore video. I shot a fair bit in Bali a few weeks ago too but haven't had any time to edit it yet. I haven't even finished editing the still photos from the trip yet.

Toad, I love that Led Zep song. There are some controls at the top of the screen that allow you to change video resolution (right down to 320x240 I think), but it defaults to "auto" which picks the highest resolution that will fit into your browser window. The video is hosted by SmugMug (on US servers). I can't speak for other parts of the world, but here in West Aus I generally seem to get better video streaming from SmugMug than most other online video hosts.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post