Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A few from the river side w/ my new Tiffen

First time playing with my new Tiffen 67mm variable ND filter. There is a definite learning curve to be had here but I was satisfied with my first attempts. It did what it said it could allowed me to shoot on a very bright sunny day surrounded by water and snow, Smile

f/5.6
ISO 200
focal length 88mm

f/6.5
ISO 200
focal length 215mm

f/8
ISO 200
focal length 41mm

I like the photos, they're really nice - do you know why they're not as sharp as your other images? Is it the filter?

(Mar 7, 2014, 00:20)kNox Wrote:  I like the photos, they're really nice - do you know why they're not as sharp as your other images? Is it the filter?

I agree with kNox, and it is a shame that they're not sharper.

(The lack of sharpness and the unusual image sizes made me wonder if these are small crops from 4000 x 3000 pixel original images?)

Philip

Nice shots, looking forward to seeing more.

(Mar 7, 2014, 00:20)kNox Wrote:  I like the photos, they're really nice - do you know why they're not as sharp as your other images? Is it the filter?

Not sure if its the filter or just 'pilot error'. Smile I am still playing trying to figure it out. I posted a second attempt and they seem to be better but still away to go.

(Mar 8, 2014, 07:52)Jim F Wrote:  

Not sure if its the filter or just 'pilot error'. Smile I am still playing trying to figure it out. I posted a second attempt and they seem to be better but still away to go.

Ehhh, not to worry, it happens to me too. I thought I finally understood how to take sharp photos, then I got a new lens and they all come out like this. It just takes time and practice Smile

It's not the filter, unless it's preventing the camera from getting a focus lock.

You're shooting WAY too slow a shutter speed.
The rule of thumb for handheld shots is that your shutter speed needs to be no slower than 1/lens length. And never slower than 1/60th
So, at 215mm, the shutter needs to be NO LESS THAN 1/250th. And then you add any motion, and you need to bump it up even further.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

(Mar 10, 2014, 11:41)Wall-E Wrote:  

It's not the filter, unless it's preventing the camera from getting a focus lock.

You're shooting WAY too slow a shutter speed.
The rule of thumb for handheld shots is that your shutter speed needs to be no slower than 1/lens length. And never slower than 1/60th
So, at 215mm, the shutter needs to be NO LESS THAN 1/250th. And then you add any motion, and you need to bump it up even further.

Thanks for the reminder Wall-E - that's something I should be aware of when shooting.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by jjford43
Sep 10, 2017, 15:09