Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A nice hot Bath

It's a very British thing to talk about the weather: the non-sequential oiling of the gears that once allowed our feudal class system to mesh enough to get a job done, though not to the point of familiarity.
Should such exchanges have taken place last week, they may well have been approaching the throat-drying heights of conversation, as we were blessed with it being unseasonally hot...the hottest 1st of October since Asquith singed the fuzz of his navel on his gran's steam-iron, so they say...and there we were in the odd timeslip of flaming June with autumn leaves. Our latterday specimens of Homo Neanderthalis never had it so good, and it was out with the 3/4 Umbro shorts and flip-flops once again.
But not in Bath of course. There, especially in the rarified air of the Royal Crescent and its environs, decorum brushes past the shoulders of whimsy, without bothering to dust itself down afterwards. Bath just has this...feeling about it, half self-conscious, half insouciant. Now, I really did try to squeeze my eye to the 50mm f1.4, as it's not a bad lens...but to be honest, when I put the 21mm on, things just started to change.
I'm sorry I've not the time to catalogue this change, so this short collage of shots will have to do.
They are all with the 21mm, apertures respectably wide between f5.6 and 7.1.
The 1st one is the exception, as I chose f10 for depth of field; I could have gone smaller, as who on earh worries about diffraction in the real world?

[Image: 2736_artshopBWweb.jpg]

[Image: 2748_lamppostBWweb.jpg]

[Image: 2765crescentWeb.jpg]

[Image: 2793_abbeytrioBWweb.jpg]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Looks pleasant enough for an ice cream - spring in autumn. 21 is definitely your focal length. A few years back, the Tamron 90 seemed to be the lens that you did most of your serious work with, but the 21 has long since supplanted it as your favorite. You seem very at home with this focal length - interesting because I struggle personally with wide angles - much less ultra wides. The quality of your lens helps make that a reality, I am sure.

I like the processing in #4 and I really like what is happening in #3 - its subtle but effective. #2 looks like it might be using the Tri-X process you described the other day. You make really good use of people as usual - I found myself searching the widows in #3 for somebody...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by TimmyNordel
Jan 19, 2018, 03:41
Last Post by MisterR
Aug 24, 2017, 01:52