Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A question for Firefox users

I use Hotmail as one of my many web email accounts. (Not sure how I keep track of them all!)

Anyway, I have the junk email filter turned on, and I notice that I still get junk emails quite regularly - a couple a day, nothing too intrusive, but I get them nonetheless. The problem is, the junk filter is blocking legitimate mail - even test messages that I send to myself from within hotmail!

So I complained to Microsoft, and here is part of their response:

Quote:Based on our records, that you are using a different browser other than Internet Explorer. It is possible that the browser that you are using has an archiving feature that automatically forward the message to “Trash Can” folder.

Is this possible? Can Firefox (which I use) automatically forward my messages to the trash can folder? Even though it is allowing junk to come through? Or is Microsoft just blowing smoke up my you-know-what, in an attempt to avoid facing up to the fact that their junk filter basically sucks?

Your thoughts will be held in high regard.

Hogwash I say. There's no way a web browser can programmatically interact with a web application, unless you've specifically installed say a plugin to do so.

Geez, does Microsoft support just hire people to respond to support requests with techno babble? It probably turns off most computer illiterate people pretty successfully, but c'mon....

Hard to say Mitch. Hotmails junk mail filter has to be trained to recognize junk mail. Maybe it needs to be retrained after switching to firefox.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

By the way, I use hotmail too and I've noticed a couple of things:

- if you find your mail in the junk mail folder, open it, and there should be a button "this is not spam" or something like that. Click it, and it should forward future messages to your inbox

- usually if you send mail to yourself (using the same hotmail account) hotmail will usually block it. some spammers fake the sender's email address and set it to the recipients to try and get the recipient to open it. (oooh an email from myself?? i wonder what it says!)

I check my junk mail folder from time to time to make sure there aren't important messages in there... Big Grin

I sue hotmail and firefox without issue.

EnglishBob Wrote:I sue hotmail and firefox without issue.

Ha ha... you do? You must have some big time lawyers working for you! Big Grin

shuttertalk Wrote:.
Geez, does Microsoft support just hire people to respond to support requests with techno babble? ..

Yes. I think I'll sue them like Craig.

Petographer Wrote:Hard to say Mitch. Hotmails junk mail filter has to be trained to recognize junk mail. Maybe it needs to be retrained after switching to firefox.

That's interesting. How do we find out if the "training" that goes on is machine or browser specific, or something entirely different? I always thought when I classified something as junk that it just went to some vast listing over at Microsoft and some dweeb would have to process it further. What you're implying is that I might have something set up as junk, but it's possible that no one else does. Be nice to know for sure how this works - the documentation is very sketchy. Maybe we should sue them like Craig.

shuttertalk Wrote:- usually if you send mail to yourself (using the same hotmail account) hotmail will usually block it.

That's what happened with my test messages. If that's actually a "feature" of the program, then that's what the tech should have said - not some fraudulent b.s. response about my browser. I should sue them like Craig.

I vote to Sue!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Oops Rolleyes When I am not suing them I use them without ussue.

* EnglishBob runs out the back door!

Big Grin

It's my keyboard... it's made in France or something!... I didn't type it, the neighbor did!... Okay, okay, I;ll come clean... I suck Sad

shuttertalk Wrote:By the way, I use hotmail too and I've noticed a couple of things:

- if you find your mail in the junk mail folder, open it, and there should be a button "this is not spam" or something like that. Click it, and it should forward future messages to your inbox

- usually if you send mail to yourself (using the same hotmail account) hotmail will usually block it. some spammers fake the sender's email address and set it to the recipients to try and get the recipient to open it. (oooh an email from myself?? i wonder what it says!)

I check my junk mail folder from time to time to make sure there aren't important messages in there... Big Grin

I gave up services like hotmail and now use Gmail, works great and a Gigabyte of storage. I never actually log in to Gmail just get email using Outlook (not Express).

Albert Einstein

If I am home I do the same with Hotmail, use outlook express, it's only when away from home I use the online browser. OF course I actually have 7 different mail boxes to check..... probably a bit excessive. I have my own mail server (2) , hotmail (2) and my ISP (3).

I have four or five and the family has one each as well so Outlook has 8 accounts to check. I use Magic Mail Monitor to check emails before I download.

Albert Einstein

Wow, Craig... sounds like a lot of trouble! Big Grin

I use hotmail and check that usually with Outlook (work email) as they've got some integration thing going. I also have a Yahoo account which I use as a spam catcher when I sign up to stuff on the web. Another gmail one which is actually spam free, but I hardly use it. Big Grin

Hey guys, this thread prompted me to go looking for some software to automatically check mail accounts, and I found this Pop Peeper!

It's an awesome utility which sits in your system tray and polls your accounts periodically. Cool thing is, it's able to check hotmail and yahoo accounts! And it does POP3 and POP3 over SSL (Gmail) too... not sure if it does IMAP but oh well.

Now here's the best bit - you can configure it to download the message bodies too... so you can read your mail straight from Pop Peeper, and not have to log into 4 different email accounts via the web! And, did I mention it's free?

It's a lifesaver, I tell you...

[Image: 57_poppeeper.gif]

Sweet find, Jules.

I have been using Magic Mail Monitor but it would not check Gmail because it would not do SSL encrypted connection, Pop Peeper does Gmail once you download the SSL plugin.

Thanks for that.

Albert Einstein

You're a popular guy Jules....4 email accounts and no new mail in any of them...

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Lol.... no "unread mail", not no "new mail". Big Grin

But if you pity me, feel free to send me some email! Big Grin

Hey just letting you know that Pop Peeper has been updated to version 2.4. The new version adds email sending - so no need to log into your hotmail/yahoo/gmail accounts again! Ever! Big Grin

And it does POP3/SMTP as well.. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by djkepple
Jul 24, 2012, 08:15
Last Post by NT73
Feb 29, 2012, 17:34