Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A shell (still life) b&w

The other day we had a nice afternoon so we went to the lake but this time I took some props... Wink

My idea was to use little beach as a locacion for a still life series of this shell... The colors were ok, but not remarkable, but there was very nice light, so I decided to work a bw post processing in the series.

Not so keen on frames, and I almost never use them. However I imagined this picture with a frame like this when printed.

[Image: IMG_5473-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5479-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5499-Edit.jpg]

I liked very much to use this place as a location to work my still life pictures. As this is a bit new to me any suggestions to improve are very welcome.

Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Irma, I love them.
the velvety texture of the water in 2 and 3 really makes for a great backdrop.
And the sand in no.1 makes really interesting lines and patterns, good choice!

in terms of composition, the diagonal lines in no.1 are nice, I would only like to see a little more beach on the right side. is this your crop?

In no 3 the tilt somehow feels dangerous, as if the shell is going to slide off to the side and that is why it is rearing up like a scared horse? For me, this last one is a bit too strong.... sorry....

Uli

I like all three; especially the lines in #2 and the way the shell is standing upright in #3.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thanks Uli, Matthew for your comment... Smile

Uli,
#1 yes, it was the idea. I cropped the way I could start some lines from the corners. The line of the beach in the right down and the line of the wave left up. I tried in all of them to work my textures, still I think for this first one a more contrasting shell, let's say a complete white shell, and perhaps simpler in form and shape would work better. I will try again this composition.

I posted this composition because I like the way the shell brakes the harmony of the diagonals. However I tried another composition too, but I find a bit repetitive to #2.

[Image: IMG_5486-Edit.jpg]

I found specially good to work with only one subject and try to work the more compostion as you can. I think it helps a lot in your creativity. Looking at my pictures already at home, you could see more possibilities. I will try next time.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Nice, Irma!

Sony A700/ 16-80mm / 70-300mm / 11-18 mm / 100mm macro

My Flickr page

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Sep 24, 2017, 18:39