Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A train ride to Carlisle.

This was a £7.00 winter special from Leeds to Carlisle on one of the most scenic routes in the UK. Unfortunately on this trip it was very misty and low cloud obscured most of the pretty sights.

[Image: end%20of%20the%20line.jpg]
The end of the line, or the start.Big Grin .

[Image: IMG_9671.jpg]
Stylish graffiti. The trouble is the windows are tinted and you cannot open them .

[Image: mind%20the%20gap.jpg]
It used to be "Mind the doors"

Carlisle Cathedral. 12th Century......Top of the organ.
[Image: top%20of%20the%20organ.jpg]

[Image: 44_window.jpg]
Stained glass window.

[Image: brougham%20triptych.jpg]
Part of the Brougham triptytch....Made in Amsterdam and on loan from Penrith church. I do not know what it is made of but it looked like wood. It is very intricate with scenes from the life of Jesus.

Carlisle was a Roman town with fortifications and is close to Hadrians wall. Today it is a thriving small modern ish town. Plenty to see. A fort where Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned, among other attractions.
If you wish to know more then Google for it. Sorry.Smile
All in all, a nice day out.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Nice series - gives me a real feel for your trip.

What I like the most in your series is the contrast you present between the paintings (graffiti), modern art?, and the beautiful detail in the wooden triptytch. The light in this last picture is beautiful, probably coming from a Stained glass window, nicely diffused but doesn't make your picture flat.

I like this a lot... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

nice trip!

I like your collection of impressions.

Uli

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Sep 4, 2017, 21:25
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Jul 31, 2011, 09:41