Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ALIEN

PICTURES TODAY ARE OUR HISTORY TOMORROW. Finn

The boots are nice and clean! Does not look like this alien did any work lately! LOL

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Probably dropped out of the sky. A lot of people flew in Wellingtons during the war. Ed.

Get your coat, Ed!
back to image - Nicely exposed and well spotted. There is a picture there, but not sure that this is it though.

I must be missing something here - I don't understand this image.

I think that the author is making a statement about the relative values of mass produced objects in this post consumer society. The boots, being designed for work and having the purpose of protection are central to today’s argument about the value of traditional manufacturing skills being replaced by entrepreneurial ideologies and capitalist culturalism. In capturing the boots, also know as Wellington boots in the UK, as pointed out by Ed, and the link with the 19C British aristocrat, politician and soldier, set in a nondescript industrial setting, the image rounds the circle with the statement that all men are fundamentally equal but , as observed by Orwell, some are more equal than others. Either that or he just saw them lying there and though “that will make a good picture!"

Thank you Dean - now that is clear! Smile

The first explanation is the likely one, as I'm not convinced about the second one here. I did wonder if the OP wanted us to see an alien image on the crumbling wall, or perhaps assume that the occupier of the boots has been abducted by an alien. Whatever the explanation of the title is, the image as presented here doesn't work for me - sorry. (I should have asked first - is critique allowed in this forum?)

A general point though - the instructions for this "Photo Showcase" forum do request - "Please post a brief narrative as well, describing what the picture was trying to achieve and how you went about doing so." - but this seems to have been ignored in many posts, without comment from a moderator.

(Oct 26, 2013, 05:39)MrB Wrote:  Thank you Dean - now that is clear! Smile

A general point though - the instructions for this "Photo Showcase" forum do request - "Please post a brief narrative as well, describing what the picture was trying to achieve and how you went about doing so." - but this seems to have been ignored in many posts, without comment from a moderator.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention - as I have not been here as long as the forum itself and did not catch this. It may be that others did not see this as well.

I greatly appreciate this - no offense taken. This is where each one can provide help and advice to the other and make this an even better place...even I am still learning in some ways.

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Zig
Jun 11, 2006, 03:31