Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

About composition

I love to take pictures of those tilted poles and old fences in the fields... I find them always so interesting... Anyway... I found a problem yesterday with this picture and my composition... I took a lot of pictures... but some how these two are more or less the ones that express my idea, and what I got.

I really don't know which would be better... in terms of composition... Where to start my picture at the left of the picture with a pole or with the barbed wire? The trees at the right... should I considered to frame my picture in this case? I know too much of these is my own liking but I really don't know which looks better...

Both have different postprocessing because the light was changing so fast...

Thanks a lot for your comments Smile

[Image: _DSC1651-01redtreepath.jpg]

[Image: _DSC1655-01redtreepath2.jpg]

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Irma Wrote:but some how these two are more or less the ones that express my idea, and what I got.

I can definitely "feel" what you are going for in the first pic. Would like a little more room on the right (rather than the road going right against the edge) but I like the composition, perspective (zoom vs. wide) and especially the LIGHT in this one more than the other.

Also I think having the "tunnel" higher up in the frame seems to work better. Not sure why.

You might be able to crop #2 and goose the lighting and saturation to get the feel of #1 with the extra bit on the edge. Or just leave 'em. Smile

I think I like the first one better. I often start a photo cropped half-way through a utility pole or fence post, so that may just be my own predisposition, and not a matter of composition. There are so many subtle FoV differences, like with the size of the 'tunnel' through the trees, that it will take days before I have a clear preference.

Looking again, now I think I like the lighting and perspective of the second one better.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Something about the lighting is richer in the second photo.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

No doggy doubt in my mind. The second is better, because it shows both sides of the track. In no.1 , the right hand side could be anything just-out-of-sight. Like a car park or a toilet. :o
No2 would go on my wall.

YMMV Wink

Cave canem

hi

yes i totally agree the first one is the best, the light, the lines and also there is no rubish ( paper on the bottom right)

I think this could be a great pix with a little in photoshop...uuuhhhmmm

I hope Irma does not mind.....

regards

christian

Nonono!!! Big Grin

The second one is the best!!! :o

Cave canem

oooh yes yes yes yes yes yes

the first one

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

uuhmm spam

christian

I really appreciate your advice. I am learning how to work with a 18-70mm lens in lanscapes. I have found that you have a lot of possibilities to compose your pictures. I also think that this picture in any other season wouldn't be interesting. The reds and yellows in the trees give to the picture some interest... In the first picture the background was blurred so the colors were brighter from the beginning not the same in the second one.

Thank you all for your comments... Smile

Paul Cezanne

I'd have to go to the second one for composition, the road acts as a path to guide the eye into the frame, whereas in the first one it just feels like a border, kepping your eye to the left of the image.

I like the colour tones of #2 much more than #1. It's the darkness on the left side that I really don't like. I believe this can be adjusted to some extent.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Petographer Wrote:I like the colour tones of #2 much more than #1. It's the darkness on the left side that I really don't like. I believe this can be adjusted to some extent.

Yes, by cropping it to look like #1. Tongue Big Grin Tongue Big Grin

slejhamer Wrote:
Petographer Wrote:I like the colour tones of #2 much more than #1. It's the darkness on the left side that I really don't like. I believe this can be adjusted to some extent.

Yes, by cropping it to look like #1. Tongue Big Grin Tongue Big Grin

Funny you should say that. I was thinking the same thing. Wink

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Thanks for your comments and advice... I have worked again on my picture... I think it improved... I worked more with curves in my RAW file so the post processing in PS was a bit easier... Smile

[Image: _DSC1655-02redtreepath.jpg]

Hey! I just forgot to celebrate my first year in Shuttertalk Sad

Thanks to you all memebers of Shuttertalk for this wonderful year! Big Grin

Paul Cezanne

hi irma

i really really like this one, just because the wonderful brigth colours and fence guide me to the darkness on the right. very nice.

hey congrats!!!!! can you beleive a year in here!!!

take care

christian

Congrats on your first year, Irma! Big Grin

I like the 2nd one better - personally I feel the big stump in the first one competes as a subject vs the "black hole"... it's also more symmetrical and neater...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post