Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Acquiring Knowledge

Looking for a little input. For years I've been a point & shooter, with average or less than average results. Have a desire to learn more about photography in general. Specifically, more about digital cameras, subject composition, lighting effects, how camera settings impact results, photo editing/enhancing software. Based upon reviews I have selected a Nikon CoolPix L820 to start my journey. I felt that this offering gives me the point and shoot capabilities I'm more familiar with as well as the capability to eventually alter settings to achieve a higher level of results. I guess what I'm looking for is a starting point to learn and enhance photographic skill sets. My question is where to start my journey, with what educational tools or processes. Are some of the advertised photography programs worth the expense. Are on line institution courses the way to go? Books on the subject? Videos? Recommendations and/or suggestions greatly appreciated. Condemnation, critics and criticisms also accepted.
My goal is to be able to say with pride "Yes, I took that picture"!

Hello and Welcome to shuttertalk PJAP. Somehow I felt that thing in my few years in photography. But something that rang in to my ears that eventually after all those mistakes it makes sense to me now. Find your interest in photography. What do you love to shoot and make time doing it? Expand your knowledge about that and don't stop expanding more. If you already have one, post it here in our photo showcase or critique (if you want to learn from what you don't see) and lets see maybe I need to learn from you or some one will. Smile

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

(Aug 31, 2013, 10:10)PhotoPlay Wrote:  Hello and Welcome to shuttertalk PJAP. Somehow I felt that thing in my few years in photography. But something that rang in to my ears that eventually after all those mistakes it makes sense to me now. Find your interest in photography. What do you love to shoot and make time doing it? Expand your knowledge about that and don't stop expanding more. If you already have one, post it here in our photo showcase or critique (if you want to learn from what you don't see) and lets see maybe I need to learn from you or some one will. Smile

Thank you Photoplay! Words of wisdom that will be taken under consideration! A good thought, start by focusing on content of interest and go from there..
Wildlife and landscapes beware;-)
Much Appreciated.

Happy to help you, atleast in Word of Wisdom Big Grin Oaahh I think we have wildlife and landscape photographers around here in shuttertalk.

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

Get experience, practice costs nothing. Initially, try every setting on the camera on same subject, Inst book, (Read it fully, many times}, will tell you what each are, evaluate results. Post some here. I found an instruction book on CD, but did not pursue since I had one supplied, weeks later, found it was a more intense book on CD, 128 pages, 75 on supplied. I did write the manufacturer, no reply. Get some form of editing software, and at least sharpen image. Walk before you run. Good luck, and, persevere. Ed.

There are some useful videos on the net but as said above try various settings on same image and see the results for yourself. Easier on landscapes and still life than wildlife, obviously. Try to get out early and late (ish). Looking forward to seeing the results.

Appreciate the comment ED! Like many things in life, we develop a basic knowledge through reading and discussion. Then we attempt to refine our skill set through experimentation and practice. Living in the Mac world now, any good suggestions on the editing software? Camera came with Nikon ViewNX2 however a quick review seems to reflect a number of inadequacies. My experience in the Microsoft world indicates that there should be some intermediate cost applications available that have more capability to offer. Aperture, price wise seems to be reasonable however I have no experience with it.

The latest lightroom seems a good buy review here, Ed.

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2013/0...iting-for/