Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Adventures in the Jungles of Mexico

Here are some photos I took while directing a film in the jungles of southern Mexico.

I stayed at a ranch called La Montaña in Constitucion, Campeche. It is a wildlife and natural resource conservation, and many wildlife can be found there. In the ranch itself, many animals co-habit with the people that work there.

[Image: HowlerMonkies2.JPG]

[Image: IMG_3994.JPG]

The top photo is of the leading male howler monkey and his baby in an area called pazahol. It's the place of ruined Spanish settlement. My guide had to howl like they do to get their attention, and in turn they howled back! There were 8 in the family, my guide told me his family had grown by two since the last time they met.

The second picture is of a spider monkey that lives with the people in the ranch. She wandered in to the camp one day and have been living with them since. Her name is Tita, and she was leashed for my stay in the camp, otherwise she would have stolen my camera gear!

A detailed description and my equipment list for this project can be found at my website. in this article.

I will update with more photos over the next few days. Cheers~

A site about photographic arts and techniques
http://photo.jchoi.ca

Great images and interesting story, thanks for sharing. That's quite a bit of gear you were hauling!

Great to look at. Your photo's that is. Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Welcome to the forum. It was very interesting story and beautiful photographs, you captured nice looking of them,

Thank you,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

[Image: MexicoAdventure_small0020.JPG]

This is Moncho. His family was killed by hunters who wanted to sell him as a pet when he was a baby. He was donated to the foundation by his previous owners. No wonder he hates people, they chained him up for my visit because he has a history as attacking visitors. They didn't want to do it, but it was for my safety. But he likes the people that work at the ranch.

[Image: MexicoAdventure_small0012.JPG]

Ñeñe is a cat that lives in the jungle. She walks in to the camp during meal time to pick up scraps, but otherwise, she sleeps and hunts in the jungle near the camp. She eats mice, scorpions, snakes and spiders.

To see more detailed descriptions about Moncho or Ñeñe, and more photos, go read my travel journal at my website!!

I am sad for attacking visitors! Seems so lovely and and looks very deeply, well captured! But my best one is Ñeñe Smile She is amazing, I never thought or imagined that cats could be in the jungle too! I loved these photographs, Thank you for sharing with us, and I visited your web site too, Mexico, is a very interesting country, it was ejoyable to read and watch from your camera and words. As you told that this was the only cat that you saw in Mexico, maybe they are all in the houses... anyway, once again nice to meet you, it was a nice sharing with us,

with my love,
nia

Ansel Adams

jChoiPhotography Wrote:No wonder he hates people
Sometimes I feel just like Moncho.

Its a sad story - but highlights the tragedies that all too common when people traffic in exotic animals. Thanks for sharing the photos and the stories. Interesting blog by the way...

Very interesting, and quite a change from the fashion work you've done. Thanks for the link.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Hi guys

@ nia: Yes it surprised me too. I met some wild cats that lived in mountains, but I didn't expect to see one in the jungles, where there are so many dangerous and poisonous things.

@ toad: The foundation is doing thing for increasing awareness of things like this, and trying to prevent animal trafficking.

@ matthew: Haha, yes, it was a new years resolution to to more nature photography.

And more photos, and an update on my blog

[Image: MexicoAdventure_small0031.JPG]
There are a lot of pretty birds in the jungles. I don't know much about birds so I couldn't tell you what they were, but I took a lot of pictures of them.

For this one I used the 70-200mm with the 2x extender.

[Image: MexicoAdventure_small0040.JPG]

Spider monkeys shared the space with howler monkeys because the food was so abundant.

[Image: MexicoAdventure_small0041.JPG]

This made me wish I brought a macro lens. But then again, I thought about all the gear I was already hauling, and I thought maybe not.

I'll update more later!

WOW! These are all very interesting and well captured. Especially the bird's eye, amazing! But scorpion made me afraid Smile I couldn't have taken its picture! I also visited your blog too, yes, it is so nice and so interesting, thank you for sharing with us,

with my love,
nia

Ansel Adams

[Image: MexicoAdventure_small0068.JPG]

I took a bunch of bird pictures, but this is not something I normally do. I'm definitely a city boy and my equipment reflect that. I had to get a 2x extender for my 70-200 to get this picture.

[Image: MexicoAdventure_small0074.JPG]

Canela is a lovely dog that lives at the ranch. She lived there with 3 other dogs, but two just died before I got there. One was eaten by a jungle cat (jaguar or cougar or something).

[Image: MexicoAdventure_small0076.JPG]

this awkward bird is pretty common there apparently.

Again, to see more photos and descriptions of my travels, see the new update on my blog

The first one, amazing! I haven't seen them before, and you captured them so nicely, how they stood on the brach, like a heart Smile I loved it so much and also their colours too!

The second one, made me sad... You captured a nice looking of her, she is a lovely one Smile well done,

And the last one, again you captured them in right time, especially with their long beaks Smile

Wonderful set, I will visit later your blog, it is enjoyable to make a travel through the your beautiful photographs Smile

Thank you,
with my love,
nia

Ansel Adams

Hey guys

I just cut together a preview for the film I'm working on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCSAqyObcLM

All the footage was taken using the Canon 7D.

I will update with more pictures soon,
Cheers~

jChoiPhotography Wrote:Hey guys

I just cut together a preview for the film I'm working on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCSAqyObcLM

All the footage was taken using the Canon 7D.

I will update with more pictures soon,
Cheers~
This was so nice, I've watched a few minutes ago. It reminded me how long I wasn't watching the night sky with full of stars... This was amazing. And all animals, too, the colours of the birds, and the looking eyes of monkeys and this cat, should be the one that you talked about her before, jungle cat Smile Yes, I really loved your video, it was a visual journey for me Smile Thank you,

Have a nice time,
with my love,
nia

Ansel Adams

[Image: IMG_2177.JPG]

[Image: MexicoAdventure_small0092.JPG]

[Image: MexicoAdventure_small0090.JPG]

This is my last set. There is another update on my blog to describe these pictures.

In the first one I used a 70-200mm lens to capture this image. My guide told me I was getting too close to the snake. (BOA not rattlesnake oops, sorry guys)

The toucan in flight is actually my favorite bird picture from the trip. It was put against a recognizable background instead of the usual overexposed sky I set them again. This one was also taken with a 70-200.

The pyramids there were really tall. I got some really nice timelapse shots of the sky there, and the view is pretty awesome. The temples poking out of the jungle give nice focal points for creating compositions.

When I finish my film I'll update here!

Thanks guys, cheers.

WOW! Yes, you are getting too closer to the snake Smile These are all so nice and interesting, you did a great set, especially the temple! As if it is being completed by the blue sky, have you noticed? Wonderful photograph.

And Good Luck for your film, and thank you sharing with us from the Mexico jungle forest,
Have a nice day,
with my love,
nia

Ansel Adams

Beautiful to read your adventures and see pictures from my country... .Smile

Thanks for sharing.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Rabid Penguin
Jul 26, 2007, 00:38