I AM SCARED!!!!! Tongue

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

hi, saw that your programme supports canon, nikon and "most" raw format. how bout .mrw? is there a list of supported formats that i've missed? thanks!

If you don't mind what kind of camera uses a .mrw?

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

pai Wrote:hi, saw that your programme supports canon, nikon and "most" raw format. how bout .mrw? is there a list of supported formats that i've missed? thanks!

It actually supports any file format that gets a timestamp in the camera (which means any file whatsoever).

However, if you want to extract the timestamp (or other info) from inside the file, it supports jpg, tiff, crw, dng, cr2, nef and any other format with and "immediate" EXIF header. (If you don't know what this means, don't worry just try it!).

If you have a raw format that DIM does not support, you can send me a sample file and I'll get it to work.

-Alan

thanks. am a little swamped at work so i'm not taking many pix, but i'll give it a try soon.

ok, tried it out briefly. all i did was take some random pictures then transfer them with DIM. i'll need to use it under real conditions over a longer period of time to decide how useful it is, but it's left a pretty good first impression. haven't tried breezebrowser or the downloader, so won't compare.

some thoughts:

my A2 saves files in date-based folders, so i didn't think the program would help much. but when i played with it more, the potential use value became clearer. it'll definitely be of some help to people who use more than one camera, especially cameras that don't save files by date.

it's very easy to configure. after i turned off all the confirm dialogues and made it exit after processing was done, i can basically double-click once to run, then just click "process" and forget about it. i haven't activated it, but the delete files from source option would take this one step further.

there're plenty more functions i haven't tried, mainly because i don't need them. but i can see how naming the folders and renaming files according to job/client etc would be useful. also good to have the optional write protection and backup files.

i made it download .mrw .mov .avi and .tif files, while ignoring the .thm ones (i use dalifer, so don't need the thumbnails). it would be nice if it could sort different file types differently, so i could for example have it send videos to another folder. or maybe make it possible to run 2 copies of the program, with separate config settings? one for stills and one for video. not really important though.

i'm going to keep using this and see if i grow to like it less or more. but so far it seems to do exactly what it's supposed to, and do it well, for free. thanks!

Quote:i made it download .mrw .mov .avi and .tif files, while ignoring the .thm ones (i use dalifer, so don't need the thumbnails). it would be nice if it could sort different file types differently, so i could for example have it send videos to another folder. or maybe make it possible to run 2 copies of the program, with separate config settings? one for stills and one for video. not really important though.

Thanks for the kind words.
You actually can run multiple instances with your choice of config settings. Check the documentation for the description of the "-c" command-line option.

heh, guess i should have read the manual more closely Smile

i'm so lazy that i wrote a simple .bat that runs two instances of it with separate config files in -p mode plus auto exit. one double click and everything sorted. yay.

pai Wrote:heh, guess i should have read the manual more closely Smile

i'm so lazy that i wrote a simple .bat that runs two instances of it with separate config files in -p mode plus auto exit. one double click and everything sorted. yay.

If you really lazy, check this out: http://www.alanlight.com/dim/DIMAutorun.htm
This will allow DIM to autorun when you insert your card into your card reader. Now the "one double click" can even go away!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by bridgette1967
Oct 31, 2018, 09:08