Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another attempt @ a sunrise

Tryin to get a sunrise shot for my " portfolio " , please tell me what yall think about these 2 shots .

1 [Image: 48_56_web.jpg]

2 [Image: 88_web1.jpg]

Thanks in advance ....... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

If this is for your portfolio then I might suggest that you get a sunrise with a bridge or something in the shot. A lake maybe? These shots are quite common. Sorry Sean. I don't intend to sound extremely critical but if the images are to reflect your work then they should have a "wow" factor. I know it is tough because the sunsets and sunrises always look so much more impressive with the naked eye. Might I suggest looking at some that are posted in other pro's portfolios?

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I dont know if porfoilio was the right word LOL . I was just tryin to add somemore " color " .

Peto , there is no need to say " sorry " , i am having a hard time getting what i want with a sunrise . That is why i put them on here Big Grin. Thanks for the advice , i think i might just have to look around and see what i can add to make the wow happen. I have found that sunrises are much harder than i thought .

Thanks for the comment ...... Shawn

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Its a favorite old song of mine that everyone has heard me song a thousand times...

I like to have a silhouette in the foreground of a sunset shot. The sky by itself always looks a bit flat to me, even when the colors are dramatic. A strong silhouette give a sunset foreground interest and adds the wow factor.

In #2 you have that, but there is a bit too much of it - the sun is having a hard time peeking through.

Thanks Toad ,

like they say in baseball .......... Swing and a miss LOL .

....... Shawn

The colors were so beautiful I just had to try to do some-thing with them.I don't know if you will like it.
Lorraine[Image: 40_48_56_web.jpg]

i like the trees and the sunset...

very nice!!
shoot more!!

hows the hockey season coing along? Smile

Thanks Beagles and champion,

Not sure if i like the edit but it does give me more ideas , thanks .

Hockey , LOL , i have been tryin to get there and shoot somemore , but when they are in town i have been busy with work Sad . I am tryin to go to the next game and shoot . Fingers crossed .

Thanks yall ......... Shawn

[Image: 1203841-aad1e3cd16640af5.jpg]

"I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them. So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."
-Marcus Cole

You know, I kind of like that first one. I think there is too much of the trees in it though and would crop it to cut some of the bottom out so the sun is more the focal point. I like what you were trying to do with it and the focal point of the clouds.

Here are two that I took on the 8th of this month, it was all about timing. I got up early and waited for about an hour for the sun to start to come up (then the silly thing came up behind the factory! but that worked) and then took around 100 shots and out of all those, I only liked these two.

[Image: sunrise1208_1a.jpg]

[Image: sunrise1208a.jpg]

With these, the focal point was the water, I wanted the sun and everything else to be in the background more.

Back to yours: I would also try doing some editting in photoshop to see if you can make the clouds pop more and give some more definition to the colors.

I did a quick run thru photoshop with yours to show you what I was talking about. I would need the original image to do a better job on it, sorry about that.

[Image: 100_9237_2a.jpg]

I was wondering Shawn if you still have this shot on your computer at a higher resolution,if you don't mind me using it,I would like to make an iron-on transfer picture with it.But to get a good size I need it with a few more pixels.If you e-mailed it to me, I could probably take about 3.5 megs
Lorraine

I like the original of #1. The row of trees leads the eye into the shot. I think it needs cropping on the bottom. Two much black. Apply the rule of thirds here.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by WesMal
Oct 31, 2018, 20:32
Last Post by roslif
Jun 4, 2018, 03:13
Last Post by Eddy Canon
May 4, 2018, 07:48