Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Aperture Controlled MFT adapter Canon Lenses

Those wanting to use Canon lenses on MFT bodies rejoice - there's a new LiveLens adapter that provides powered aperture control to canon EF lenses, allowing them to be used fully with MFT bodies.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/09/m...e-control/

Quote:But until now, Canon users had to without aperture control when using lenses on other bodies. Canon EF mount lenses need power to activate their aperture leaves, and passive adapters simply leave the lenses stuck wide open. RedRock Micro solves this with the LiveLens Active Mount, a powered converter that lets you use your lens as it was supposed to be.

Aperture is controlled by a panel on the adapter itself, not by the camera. You do lose autofocus functions, but as the adapter is primarily meant for people shooting video, you’ll be focusing manually anyway.
Price is pretty steep though - $488 a pop.

Thanks for the link Jules.
As someone who loves to adapt lenses onto my GF1 and has plenty of Canon glass lying around, this really grabbed my interest.
However at first glance of the photos of this adapter (not mounted to a camera), I really couldn't see the point of it, and the article itself doesn't help. I mean the whole point of micro four-thirds is to allow photographers to keep their kit small, right? Using a Canon EOS lens on a GF1 or Pen body is already going to make it bulky, but when the adapter itself is huge (and requires external power which isn't shown in the wired article) then you really have to ask "what were they smoking?"
And then there's the price which works out at almost US$500 when you include the battery cable. Why would anybody buy such a product? It just doesn't make sense.

But then I clicked on the link to the product page and the penny dropped.
http://store.redrockmicro.com/livelensmft

[Image: 3-090-0001_1_lg.jpg]
This adapter isn't designed for the 98% of micro four thirds users shooting with a GF1, E-P2, or other still camera. It's designed for the 2% of professional micro four thirds video camera users.
And for that role, it makes perfect sense. It's a shame the Wired article completely missed that important little point, so all the comments at the end of that article are complaining about how pointless the adapter is. Meanwhile there are a small handfull of professional videographers who have just had their prayers answered.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Aha...yes...could have almost been just about adjacent to a need I might have thought of having there...
Wink

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Kombisaurus Wrote:This adapter isn't designed for the 98% of micro four thirds users shooting with a GF1, E-P2, or other still camera. It's designed for the 2% of professional micro four thirds video camera users. And for that role, it makes perfect sense.
Indeed. Now that I know that the EOS-to-mFT adapter is possible, I'm amazed that Panasonic didn't make one themselves. Since Canon essentially created the large-sensor HD Camera world and has a foothold, being able to use the established lenses must be a huge benefit for Panasonic's cameras since they combine the larger sensor with proper video camera controls.

I'd wonder why Canon doesn't make a proper video camera with a large sensor, but that would just add to the list of things that they're not making for some unknown reason. Rolleyes

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post