Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Apples

Thanks so much for your comments and advice .... Smile

[Image: IMG_0342-01apples.jpg]

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Ha ha, You have been collecting conkers and oak leaves and the squirrel's dinners.
I like it but it looks grainy/noise. Maybe the parchment background.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Nicely composed and framed. I think the grain is part of the appeal.

A bit too grainy for me as well.

Lighting is quite flat.

Did you shoot with a long lens?

Great potential though - the arrangement is top notch.

I really like the composition on this shot . the lighting is flat to me too . the grain doesnt bother me . I wish i was better with words Irma . I really like the idea of this picture . Looks like a picture hanging in a kitchen . Big Grin

...... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

I'll have to agree with the others on the grainy and lighting. The arrangment is perfect.Smile

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Thanks so much for you comments... Smile

For the lighting I used a studio flash bounced to the ceiling... Should I use another flash?...

Here are some more without any post processing... as I tried to work with this arrangement a series, and yes! I thougth to hang them the kitchen Smile

Mitch, I use a 24-105mm lens... f 14 all of them....

[Image: IMG_0353-01ap.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0362-01ap.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0382-01ap.jpg]

Paul Cezanne

Irma, those pics are beautiful - old fashioned look about them that is timeless Wink

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

the set up is great Irma, I like very much what you were going for. I think the pp works well for your subject.

I like these better, especially the first.
In the second and third, the black spot on the red apple takes my eye away from the picture as a whole, but that can be cloned out.

Whoops I can see it in the first one now.:/

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Quote:For the lighting I used a studio flash bounced to the ceiling... Should I use another flash?...
Irma i think i can explain it like this , you need to seperate the BG from the fruit with the light . Right now there is no seperation between the subject and the background . Maybe use the flash behind the fruit aimed at the background . I know i forgot something LOL .....

I hope this makes sence to you ( like i said eairlier i suck with words Big Grin ) .

........ Shawn

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Irma - this may be a good candidate for PhotShop Fix-me-up. There are a lot of different opinions. If your ego can bear it, why not giver it a try...

Thank you all for your comments Smile I am very happy I share this little project Smile

I have a small room and I wanted to see if it could work as a little studio for pictures like these ones... I worked today all day there... but I think there is already much to learn... Sad

Shawn, Thanks for your explanation I understood well... I will give this a try in few days... Wink

Thanks Toad for your advice, I will ask Jules or Colin to change this post to that forum... Smile

Paul Cezanne

These are really nice Irma - next thing is a studio flash kit with softbox and an extension to the house Smile

It is mainly the noise in the first one that bothers me. But - we are all kind of sensitive to noise and it can work if that is the effect you are trying to achieve.

Canon stuff.

I really like these shots. The grain in the first shot didn't bother me at all. The only thing that I don't care for is the white background. I would have liked to see something more "country" - wood or something like that. Nobody really looks at the backgrounds - but they subtly establish context for shots, and add to the overall "rightness" of the shot.

Toad, I think you've hit the nail on the head there, there was something about this photo not quite right, and I also think it is the background.
I think I would expect to see something 'earthier' like wood, or hessian or even just a brown backdrop.

its a great idea, and it'll look great in your kitchen.

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Looking at this again I think it needs a litttle more seperation from the background I find it blends into the bg too much. Maybe a levels or curves adjustment to give some more pop. Having said that it really depends what you are going for........if your after subtle it works well as it is..........Smile

In the first shot posted the background does not look white to me..........I think it would pop more if the background was lighter. I do like the idea of wood or hessian though

this is only my opinion........:|

The noise was more to make it look like old paper... I saw a tutorial somewhere, I will look for it and try again...

Chris, It would be great to have a kit like those, but I don't know if I can stuff all that into the room... Maybe with a new flash will be fine... Smile

Toad, thanks so much for your advice... The table I was working on is made of wood and I thought to do it on it with out any clothes... then I thought I might look informal or too casual... anyway I look for a place with wood looking a bit country and the first think I thought was in my window in the kitchen... so ... I moved all to the kitchen and took my picture... Smile

Here is my try for today... Smile

[Image: IMG_0647-01apk.jpg]

Schell, Russ... Thanks a lot for your comments and support Smile I really would love to have one of my pictures in the kitchen Smile

Paul Cezanne

Quote Irma "I thought to do it on it with out any clothes..."

I think you must mean without a table cover. If not can I come and watch...Big Grin

Lumix LX5.

Big Grin

Yes you are right!!... I was without any table cover...

Big Grin

Paul Cezanne

Now I really feel like I'm being difficult - but the curtain backdrop doesn't seem quite right either. It is a bit too busy, and the basket feels constrained by the narrow counter top. The new photo definitely has a country feel to it, but now the apple basket isn't clearly the primary visual focus.

I think that what I had in mind when I suggested a country background was more like I did in this one:

http://shuttertalk.com/forums/viewtopic....5816#45816

I am not saying my photo is better - far from it - yours has far greater interest, better lighting, and mine is out of focus - this is just an example of the sort of subtle country background I was thinking about for your shots. The background is there, and adds context, but does not conflict with the main subject.

I really feel like I am sounding too critical of your work (and I am actually a great fan). I am never very comfortable with critiquing - so please feel free to disregard this unsolicited advice.

No, Toad, you are not being difficult... Now that I see your picture I got the idea... I've been thinking more or less where to do it and I think I got the place... It is outside, so it will need to wait a bit since we have terrible weather... I will give it a bit of time... Thanks so much for your help and advice Smile

Paul Cezanne

ok Irma ,

Here is kinda what i was talkin about , my PP work needs some help , but i thought i would show you what i was saying . Its not " perfect " but i think you will get the idea .

[Image: IMG_0342-01apples.jpg]

........Shawn

Thanks so much Shawn for your time to work on my picture... Hey I like a lot what you did... your post processing is really nice Smile

I've been trying to work again with the arrengement but I decided to start with something a bit simpler... I got a black background and well... I will show you tomorrow... Smile

Thanks again Shawn... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by WesMal
Apr 5, 2016, 12:29
Last Post by Wedding Shooter
Nov 15, 2006, 22:23