Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photography Competition on Peace

As part of the Week of Peace 2008, Spiraluniverse are seeking entries on the topic of peace as a response to recent news and media highlights of violence and the fear of crime, particualry amongst young people .

The Week of Peace is a week long community event which promotes peace and community safety. It is supported by the Home Office and the Metropolitan Police. The Cries for Peace competition is being launched this year to promote and profile a message of celebration, collaboration and reconcilation.

It aims to be a positive response to the far too many unfortunate stories in the media about young people and crime, particularly violent crime leading to fatalities. Regardless of the news, we believe that there are many many positive young people and community members who are able and want to express their concern and interest for the community safety and peace.

The ‘Cries for Peace’ short film and photography competition is a way to capture and profile these voices and views. With this in mind, people are invited to send in short film (less than 90 secs) or still photographs submissions on the subject of peace.

The winner will receive a prestigious a London Peace Award and monetary prize and there are a number of opportunities and prizes for the runner ups.

The deadline for submissions is 8 August 2008, application forms and further information can be downloaded from http://www.criesforpeace.com.

For more information, email criesforpeace@yahoo.com

I admire the idea, but unfortunately the terms of the competition are unacceptable to me:

9. You agree to give Spiraluniverse an unlimited, royalty-free, transferable,
right and license to use reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create
derivate works from, distribute, perform, display, make available to the public,
broad-cast transmit the content by all forms of media (including print and
online) throughout the world.

I've certainly seen more objectionable rights grabs -- you don't ask for the copyright, which a recent Nikon competition does -- but the inclusion of the words "unlimited" and "transferable" makes this a very serious matter. I wouldn't recommend this competition to anyone who values their own work or integrity.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

well spotted, sounds like a bit of an easy way out for whoever this organisation is.

Gravity won't get us high.

Thanks Matthew... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne