Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Assignment #90: Keeping it Simple

Simplicity is not the goal. It is the by-product of a good idea and modest expectations.
- Paul Rand

We last looked at the idea of simplicity over two years ago, so it's time to revisit the idea. Having simple and clear compositions has always been a goal of mine, but it's a goal that I rarely attain. I was really struck by the comment by designer Paul Rand that having modest expectations is as important as a good design.

Consider simplicity when you're taking photos. Look for opportunities to use a good idea to create a good design, and keep the complexity to a minimum. And while I always encourage new photographs, classic examples from your collection are also welcome.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

[Image: kak.yard01.jpg]

[Image: kak.yard02.jpg]

New, for this assignment and for playing with my CP filter.

Still can't carry my camera bag (too heavy after surgery) so here's an oldie.

[Image: Peace%20Lily%20-%20monochrome.jpg]

I have to confess (in case anyone didn't already know) that I wrote keep the complexity to a minimum as a reminder to myself. My personal inclination is always to give a complicated answer to simple questions, and to make the questions themselves complex whenever possible.

[Image: 452093656_paw6A-L.jpg]

I really like peaceful seascapes, and felt the need to shoot multiple frames and stitch them together. This one's only two frames, but that's still more than I really need. On the other hand, it should make a nice print. The judges at my camera club helpfully pointed out that it lacks an identifiable centre of interest.

[Image: 460087876_V5M9X-L.jpg]

I suppose this one really is simple: I chose to blot out a lot of interesting graffiti and other items in this "abandoned" building. (It's probably one of the most photographed places in Toronto: while I was sneaking around in it, four other photographers showed up with studio lighting and a couple of models. Seriously.) It was shot in aperture-priority with a -5EV adjustment dialed in to stop the windows from blowing out. I could have switched to manual mode, but that would have been more complicated.

[Image: 448056244_ibcyE-L-2.jpg]

This is what the seascape in the first photo looks like from 100 feet further back.
To the judges credit, this one got a minor award at my camera club.

[Image: 464930605_MANhs-L.jpg]

And this is the lens that took the first three photos. The concept was to replicate a "size matters" illustration from What The Duck so that I could e-mail it back to the comic strip's creator. My nod to simplicity was in finding a way to shoot the largest 'product' I've had to deal with, and include both white and black items on a dropped-out background. (No pixels have been harmed in Photoshop for this image.) I did it by sliding my ottoman up to the couch and covering them with a strip of drawing paper. This is a dark white, and comes in rolls of varying width. Mine's 36" wide, which meant I needed a telephoto lens so long that I was practically shooting from the balcony. It's lit with two flashes, one on an optical slave to blow the background, and a camera-mounted flash for on-axis fill light. That one was angled upwards just a little, and that was all I needed.

Simple. (Almost.)

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Browser Mike
Dec 12, 2016, 17:26