Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Astley Castle, Warwickshire UK

Visited Astley castle whilst in the Midlands at the weekend. The castle has been standing derilict for about 40 years, after afire but has now been “restored” for use as a holiday home. The restoration has been awarded the RIBA Sterling prize. Astley was the home of the Grey family and probably of Elizabeth Woodeville, wife of Edward IV and mother of the Princes in the Tower. Can’t get closer than the moat but have several images. This one has been processed in 2 different ways. Don’t know what you think.

Saw this on TV Dean, bit different. Prefer the Colour one, artistic. the B/W could be lighter, see more detail in the trees. Ed.

(Oct 1, 2013, 15:09)EdMak Wrote:  Saw this on TV Dean, bit different. Prefer the Colour one, artistic. the B/W could be lighter, see more detail in the trees. Ed.

And I'm exactly the opposite. I like the B&W better, and would like to see more contrast, maybe even taking it down a stop. As far as I'm concerned the shadow detail in the trees is irrelevant.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

(Oct 1, 2013, 14:20)Dean Wrote:  Visited Astley castle whilst in the Midlands at the weekend. The castle has been standing derilict for about 40 years, after afire but has now been “restored” for use as a holiday home. The restoration has been awarded the RIBA Sterling prize. Astley was the home of the Grey family and probably of Elizabeth Woodeville, wife of Edward IV and mother of the Princes in the Tower. Can’t get closer than the moat but have several images. This one has been processed in 2 different ways. Don’t know what you think.
I live near there and hate what they've done to it Old buildings should look old. -but to add my pennyworth-(I'm new here)- The colour pic is about right.The b/w pic is too sharp edged and pristine for my liking. I like the composition.

I favour the colour version. The composition and exposure are spot on.
A most interesting recovery of what might otherwise have become just another neglected ruin to disappear with time.

Photography is a never-ending journey

It is a well-exposed image, and the composition is good but if it were mine, I would rotate it clockwise very slightly. I like not only the colour photo, but also the very nicely done mono conversion. For the equipment and settings used, they look a bit soft to me, but that might be the result of down-sizing the images; but whatever the reason, I would apply very gentle fine sharpening to both.

Cheers.
Philip

One more vote for the B&W one, it's got a lot more character!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Feb 26, 2016, 12:21
Last Post by Jocko
Feb 5, 2016, 08:03