Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

B&W

I've just started thinking more about black and white photography after taking this picture in County Durham. It was a damp grey day, the sort of day that would normally see me leaving the camera at home. When I first looked at the photo in Lightroom, I wished I'd stuck to walking the dog, but it seemed to come to life when I switched to black and white. It's something I hardly ever do and so I'd appreciate any feedback. I realise it's not a great shot, but it's encouraging me to go out now with black and white in mind. I have a feeling that black and white makes you focus a bit harder on composition and the positioning of the different elements of a picture. I know that I all too often find myself using the cropping tool to make up for a lack of discipline at the time of shooting. Can anyone relate to this? Rob

ISO200, 24mm, f16, 1/10sec

Attached Files Image(s)

You have captured a good composition, Rob, and it is a nice conversion to monochrome. The photo is just lacking a bit at the top, in my opinion, owing to the bland sky. You could try making it more dramatic, and you don't need another sky here to achieve that. Just make the sky in your image a bit darker and more contrasty, e.g. -

Cheers.
Philip

I see this as a Landscape?? Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

One attractive feature about the original is the way the track and the wall lead the viewer up to the tree. The impact of those leading lines, and also of the foreground interest of the fallen stones, has been diminished in the landscape crop.

Just my opinions, of course. Smile

Cheers.
Philip

I thought the fallen stones were very eye catching, detracting. Back on my signature again! Ed.

To each his own!

I liked the image & what other people did with it. I also thought the wall & path led your eye to the tree so I lassoed them, refined the edge and then used levels to lighten them. I also put a frame around it. Great image thanks for sharing.

[Image: DSC_6469r11photoshopped_zps04651046.jpg]

Thanks everyone. This has been really helpful. I thought Philip's suggestion was transformative, but I also liked Webber's changes and Ed's idea of an alternative crop. I've attempted to recreate your suggestions in Lightroom and, in the portrait version, have darkened the foreground stones to try to make them a little less distracting. I'll be keeping both on file for now, with the aim of making a return visit soon to have another go! Rob        

Convinced more, that it's a Landscape shot. Great job. Ed.

To each his own!