Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Barbwire

Walked home from work and saw this, i liked the contrast in the image. The barbwire and the swing behind it.

I realize the dof is a bit shallow, and that the image probebly would have been better if the swing was a tad sharper. (will have to re-shoot it sometime)

[Image: barbwire_s.jpg]
Large version

Comments and critique welcome as always.

/P.L

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

I like what you are trying twith this shot Paul. My only hesitattion, is the swing set in the back. Its very distracting for me and takes away from the detail of the wire.

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

Thanx Jericho.

Yes the swing set is distracting from the barbwire, it was my intention.
Its probebly so much out of focus so it doesnt make any sense and its just distracting.

what i found interesting in the scene when i walked by it was the fact someone but barbwire as a fence for their backyard where their children is supposed to play and ride that swing set.

Did you see the swingset right away or did you see it beacuse i mentioned it ?

Thanx for taking the time to look/comment, much appreciated.

/P.L

I like the contrast between the swing set and the wire, and 'got it' right away.

I don't think that the DOF needs to be changed; the swing set is obvious because of the sloping lines of the frame and the green of the grass. The OOF swings are still visible enough, especially in the large version, to confirm the impression of a playground.

I really like this photo, which is why I tend to look for the little things...

I like the selective desaturation to focus attention on the swing, but maybe it didn't go far enough. Specifically, the red in the TR corner adds nothing, and competes for attention. More generally, you might want to go even further in decreasing the saturation without affecting the swing set or the wire.

If the highlight on the bottom of the frame were to be cropped out, I wouldn't miss it.

... and, on a more pedantic note, "barbwire" gets 343,000 hits on google, but "barbed wire" (exact match) gets 2,450,000. ("Barbedwire" gets only 43,400, though.)

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I like it... to me it says - swing in the back, colourful = Smile but with barb wire fence in foreround and b/w = Sad! Nice story and meaning there...

And yes, I saw the swingset right away...

I didn't read your text before looking at the picture. In fact, I didn;t read it at all as I thought it was just a request for feedback. haha.

I can relate to the intent of this shot. Wire vis a vis swing. I think it would have more of an impact in b&w though for this purpose. Just my thoughts.

In color it gives me the impression that its "there". Like a shot with poor composition. Not saying this is... just my measly .02.

Jerry

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

I like your idea, but to me the composition doesn't work too well. If the swing just had more definition in the background, it would be better. I didn't understand that those bright poles were a swing until I read your description and others comments...

I am not quite sure about having the barbed wire centered. I have the feeling that these subjects placed in the center of the picture cut it in two, but it might be just my idea..... However, I would give it a try placing the wire somewhere down in the area of thirds and dedicate the rest of my picture to the swing in the background with more definition.... So then one can read the story easier.....

Just my idea ...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I think the red is too bright, and I would like to see the whole swing set, I think if the top bar were included you could more easily tell that it was a swingset. I'm also with Irma that if the barbed wire were in the lower third of the photo it would be better composed, the highlight would be cropped out and you could see the whole of the swing set.
Just my 0.02c

I like the photo overall, I love the selective desaturation and I think you communicate the idea well.

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Thnx everyone for the comments/critique.

I probebly should have posted this photo in the critique section lol (since i knew some things that i want to change)

I agree Irma the photo would improve by shooting from a lower angel and get the wire off center.

Will have to re-shoot it :-)

Thanx everyone.

/P.L