Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Barrow Alaska - Top of the World

I have learned so much .. from this culture, so much so, I never want to leave it.
It is not all of what it could be, there is always someone, to twist the knife in your back, Although I live in an eskimo community full of the greatest people, there is one person in this town, that is soon to be kicked out of this village, for the manner in which he insults the natives on the internet.
This is a white man, who is a self proclaimed expert of the arctic who hasn't even been here 10 years. he is the mistake sheriff if any one posts any infomation about barrow or whaling. He makes up bold face lies and makes vain attempts to change the truth by lying. This is one of the main reasons I moved up here, to get away from white people that have this GOD almighty self righteous attitude.

Moving on to prove a point about photography, Creating professional images DOES NOT REQUIRE: a top of the line brand name camera.

[Image: front.JPG]

BEHOLD.. .. the tiny toy camera(s), used to create these images !! My point is well proven beyond dispute, you do not need to spend huge amounts of money with a myrid of X-tra gadgets to produce professonal quality images.
[Image: open.JPG]

Believe it or not- this toy is capable of producing a movie of one hour in duration !! @ 320 X 240 - Lol.. wait... till the camps are set up, and we sit around for story time. I will do my best to provide you hours of side splitting laughter. The humor level is very 'high' out here on the ice, it is just themost exciting time of the entire year ! These next 8 weeks or so.. what ever it turns out to be, shall be full of awesome images depicting the Inupiaq way of life never before seen up close and this personal !!

[Image: back.JPG]

I got lots more images to post.. I am so glad you all enjoy the images for what they are and I will do my best to keep 'text' to an absolute minimum!
Believe it or not, this camera has photoshop built into it !! Most of the filters are present to enhance images, it can even put a smile on someone's face that refuses to smile !!!

Life against the snow and ice... and yes the cold weather too! These photos and all your explanations are great. I watched some documentaries about Alaska but I haven't felt myself as being there like your sharings (sorry about my language, I hope I can explain). Life is so hard there this can be seen. You caught so nicely all these photos. The light, the brigtness should be problem especially for eyes, and sure, the cold weather too. I listened to the sound too. It is unbelievable... Ice and daily life... It is almost different of course for me, for example this last winter we havent seen any snow and ice... But usually we dont have so much snow, except the east part of my country. It really lives very snow and icey days but sure not like Alaska. Just I wonder what about women there? Sometimes I watch on documentaries, mostly they are scientists or an academic person for their investigations. But daily life seems very hard. Doesn't it?

Once again thank you for all your beautiful sharing, these are all great. You exactly brought a new pictures to my imaginaries. Life on this earth how strange, sun means a wonderful touches of a day there, but in so many places we all forget sun how wonderful touches of a day, even we don't notice that the sun in our running days... And here we fight with so many things, but life on there, there is only one fight that is against the snow and ice.

Anyway, once again sorry for my language, I may not be enough to explain well my thoughts and my feelings. And once again thank you so much, this is really great work, experiences and so nice sharing.

Have a nice day,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Majik_Imaje Wrote:Believe it or not, this camera has photoshop built into it !! Most of the filters are present to enhance images, it can even put a smile on someone's face that refuses to smile !!!
This is amazing, unbelievable... Seems magical! Smile

Ansel Adams

Monday, April 20th. We are waiting for a phone call from our captains, (when they get off work). Beluga whales are beng harvested in Point Hope today. We should be setting up camp out on the ice tonight. photos will be forthcoming shortly - day by day- out on the ocean ice pack.

[Image: ADVANCE.JPG]

We have a huge hole to fill out on the ocean ice. It is getting thin in some places.

[Image: FILL%20HOLE.JPG]

Some of the crew members are not showing up for work, (chuckle) two crews - 16 people - ten are missing !!

These images should illustrate plainly why you could never get a bob cat out here.

[Image: FILL%20HOLE2.JPG]

There, on the far left, is the captain, everyone is equal out here, everyone does the same work. There are 'NO LEVELS'. Everyone is treated the same (with respect). Everyone works, no matter who you are.

[Image: WA1.JPG]

Huge ice chunks are broken up, to fill this hole.

[Image: WA3.JPG]

Getting ready to head back out..far out, many miles!
Can you believe this amount of difficult hard work, with no pay, for weeks on end,.. .. 'just to eat' !!

[Image: geting-ready.JPG]

Here is a photograph is not too clear, it is very foggy outside. Notice, the person wearing shortcuts when it is Zero F - temp !!

[Image: short%20cuts.JPG]

[Image: DIG.JPG]

More images from breaking trail, the folder name BT-x is the day number of when this work was done. So far, we have 15 days of images of breaking trail !! Only a few have been posted so far.. continuing onward, through the ice

[Image: DIG2.JPG]

[Image: MOVEIT.jpg]

[Image: SSET.jpg]

[Image: MOON.JPG]

yawn ! long day ! adiga (good) Tavra - that's all!

Some of the crew members on this crew

[Image: SLED.JPG]
This is long hard days of nothing but work, with no pay, we need your help, each crew, cuts its own trail - 8 crew members plus the captain !!
and.. .. the boyer !!!
[Image: TIRED.JPG]

Steam, from open water is visible miles away. Look at the bottom of the clouds!

[Image: LOOK.JPG]

[Image: LETSGO.JPG]

Check out the huge Polar Bear Mittens, lying on the ground, nearby, when your hands become frozen up! Three pair of mittens is what the Captain uses. Proper protection is needed or you are in for some hurting for certain. This is not like a construction job where you are allowed to go inside to warm up after 1/2 hour, We are out here for the full day, long days of 12 hours or more, we eat out here, we stay out here, working hard.. .. for no pay.. .. just the right to eat !! - and no one complains !!

[Image: PBM.JPG]

The next pile(s) of ice, to be chopped up, spread out, smoothed out, fill in the low spots, chop down the high spots
Scouting up ahead, to see which path to take, A lot of planning goes into making this trail.

[Image: scout.jpg]

Temperatures, what do we experience out on the ocean ice. These temps just might surprise you !
20 below zero with 30 mph winds = 53 degrees below zero
40 below zero with 30 mph winds = 80 below zero !!
When you are surrounded by ice on all sides for many miles, these temps out here can get quite uncomfortable. The slightest bit of wind, and you notice it, you feel it, you better be dressed correctly !!

[Image: windchill.gif]

Find the people.. .. how many can you see / count ? Lets find 'waldo' !

[Image: arcticbarrenbeauty.jpg]

The barren frozen beauty of the arctic is all around us. Spend time out here, then you might understand, if you are warm enough and comfortable. if your not, it is the most miserable harshest place on the planet !! Imagine that.. .. this is where we get our food, for thousands of years, but we have to really work - to gain access !! Constant thanks is given for that which we receive from the creator of all things.

[Image: MARK1.JPG]

Imagine that .. .. some people pay money to go to the gym - to work out !!

[Image: MARK2.JPG]

This was day six, it was extremly cold as in 40 below w/ 30 mph winds or stronger. It was a long day, all the captains are very happy with the progress that has been made. We are more than six miles out on day six, but the wind broke off about two miles of the ice, back and forth on the trail, widening it to bring the skin boats and other supplies.
Just look, at the massive amount of ice that has been removed here, talk about hard work, for many hours on end.. .. just to eat - that is the only reward !! These crews, are in top physical shape to stay out here, day after day. This is the easy part, .. .. wait !! watch and learn what really goes on.. .. you would never have believed this, and the amount of work involved unless you have seen it with your own eyes, then you can get a small feel and indication of the massive amount of work that is done. for MILES .. .. .. .. .. !! 'let that sink in for more than ten seconds .. ' !! Everyone is smiling, happy, and no one complains.. well that is much differenet from the people I have worked with in construction.. it is constant complaining from people that are receiving money for doing all their work. what a difference in cultures. This is what keeps me here in the Arctic - People that are content and happy with no complaints, full of thanks and praise all day long.

[Image: MARK3.JPG]

Everything that man does.. .. .. is for his mouth !! (King Solomon) !!

This is work, and it is very cold out !!
the heat you need, is in the tools you are using !!

[Image: MASSIVE.JPG]

This was day six, and it is wicked cold, the worst ever !!

[Image: TRAIL.JPG]

Just look at how people are dressed, it is brutal - that wind will cut you up on exposed skin (face)
frostbite is an understatement, the skin bets burned, it turns black and takes 3 months to heal properly.
just like a razor blade was dragged across your skin, that is what that wind is like, it hurts !
[Image: HIGH.JPG]

Break time - miles and miles to go.. .. .. day after day .. .. .. !

[Image: ice-moustache.jpg]

As I said above, this is life but against the snow, cold and ice.... Not seems easy of course, especially I am thinking of myself. But human body gets the balance I think when you are in somewhere like that, but of course I have not any experience like that before. Even not easy with my physical conditions and health issues. But I wished to be there, to breathe and to watch the brightness in the silence of snow and ice. But I know there is wind sound there... In my mind, in my imaginary to be there as if to be in another planet.... It also seems without human world but on the other hand all equipments and everything for to live there again from human world. Actually this is the power of human. It is not easy to be against all these hard situations. I can see this. Alaska philosophically hits my mind too, as Himalaya...

Thank you for all these wonderful photos and explanations, really I felt myself as if in these photos. You are so nice, I loved all of them,

Blessing and Happiness,
with my love,
nia

Ansel Adams

Hey Majike, your photos are just magical; your stories even more so! I visited Barrow (and other parts of Alaska) this summer and just fell in love with the place! I can't wait to visit again in the winter and see the Auroras! In the meanwhile, your photos bring beautiful memories of a very lovely time in a magical place! (Have you ever photographed Auroras? Would love to see those ...)

- Richie

P.S. I bought a couple of books - "Last Light Breaking" and a few others I can't remember right now - and your stories are equally if not more entertaining! You should definitely write a book!

Well I thank you so much for all your wonderful comments and continued interest in my work here in the Arctic.

I will not dissapoint you - as I have many more 'hundreds of images' to post and share with you - this most unique lifestyle / cultrue @ the Top of the world in a frozen barren land full of ICE.

[Image: SLUSH-ICE.JPG]

The end of another long day !!

[Image: days-end.jpg]

Well Majic Imaje, you are certainly a prolific poster and also a very interesting one.
These are (obviously) not the type of shot that we get everyday around these parts, so well taken and thanks for the grand tour. Looking forward to more.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Wonderful photographs. I keep watching your photographs. Thank you for sharing here with us, and I wish you to have a nice day and have a nice winter days.

Blessing and Happiness,
with my love,
nia

Ansel Adams

It is too warm out here, the ice is only about 3 foot thick, we need the temps to drop. to at least 30 below or colder, we need strong west wind to drive the ice back in here and make it much thicker. There is just no way, this ice will be able to withstand the massive weight of a bowhead whale - an astounding TON per foot !!

[Image: SLUSH.JPG]

Natchiq = Seal = food !! and 'seal skin' which is very valuable for clothing (waterproof) hats, slippers, gloves, vests, dolls etc.

[Image: seal.JPG]

GIANT icebergs in the distance

[Image: GIANT-ICEBERG.JPG]

HEY !!!

[Image: seal2.JPG]

Majik_Imaje Wrote:It is too warm out here, the ice is only about 3 foot thick, we need the temps to drop. to at least 30 below or colder, we need strong west wind to drive the ice back in here and make it much thicker. There is just no way, this ice will be able to withstand the massive weight of a bowhead whale - an astounding TON per foot !!

Natchiq = Seal = food !! and 'seal skin' which is very valuable for clothing (waterproof) hats, slippers, gloves, vests, dolls etc.

GIANT icebergs in the distance
I can only imagine... Thank you for all these photographs. They are so nice,

with my love,
nia

Ansel Adams

Frozen Camera(s) used to be very common for me to work with !! Yes they work @ - minus 50 below zero after being exposed to this weather non-stop for weeks !!

[Image: nykon.jpg]

Majik: I wish we saw you more but your photo essays are always a treat whenever they come. Bravo!!

Although I wasn't in Barrow this year for whaling; we are still in Anchorage.

But under the 'fair use act' I can use these photos from a friend that was there.

A whale was caught not too far away from this crew, That animal being cut up and divided brought the smell of blood into the air; polar bears soon arrive in many different locations looking for food.

Making noise, waving arms, shouting and firing a rifle into the ice close by is enough to scare them away.

[Image: polar-bear.jpg]

It is always a good thing to have someone in front of you with a rifle!! (chuckle) Just in case.!!

[Image: polar-bear2.jpg]

No one is going to shoot a baby; polar bear or a teenager. The adults however sometimes present a problem. They are stubborn. Every attempt is always made to get that bear out of the camp site area and back away from where people are located.

[Image: front-umiaq.jpg]

This is the wrong side of an umiaq to be on. I Have always been told - stay away from the left side of the umiaq. Only walk and sit on the right side. I have no idea how this image was created. I only know wht I have learned in the past and some things are very taboo out on the ocean ice. This is one of them. Wearing Red is another no no.. blues, whites, browns. are ok to wear but no other bright colors.allowed..

[Image: wrongside.jpg]

Again the wrong side of the umiaq; I have seen in the past; hunters pick up their rifles and tell the person sternly; get away from that side of the umiaq!

you give away their position by standing up in that area before the umiaq. The whales approach from that direction. (left). Hunters are always BEHIND the umiaq. never in front of it.

[Image: wrongside2.jpg]

The bears are so nice, I can't think of myself to come face to face with them Smile and take a pictures! Thank you dear Majik that you shared with us, and also I am so glad to hear you again. Your Alaska stories and news are always so interesting and enjoyable.

Greetings and Love,
nia

Ansel Adams

Hello my friends; It is good to post in here again. More photos. More stories - & a wonderful time for all

[Image: pos-a.jpg]

[Image: Pos-b.jpg]

How do you do this to (any) photograph ? It is very simple with predictable results

If you want to experiment with some of your photos just open any photo in photoshop or Painter

Open your image and go to image > adjust > Curves.

When that window opens just make four different points on the line

Them move those four different points up or down to see the desired result!

Hi dear Majik, nice to hear you again. You changed your avatar, seems so lovely! But the old one was so nice too.

To do something on photoshop is a great fun. It can give you so many ideas... I loved what you did, the first one in Alaska, but the second one stands like a picture of a science fiction film... Smile

Thank you, have a nice day,
with my love,
nia

Ansel Adams

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post