Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Beautiful Fogo Island, Newfoundland - photo essay

I have had a love of capturing the grand and intimate vistas of Canada for over 30 years; a passion for nature and landscape photography, more specifically panoramic images of Fogo Island, off the north-east coast of Newfoundland. I am forever in awe of scenes that by themselves, speak with feeling, and engage more of your senses than just casual sight can. Every day nature provides something beautiful to witness. The key is having our eyes and souls open enough to see it. As a photographer, it is my purpose to capture these moments. I capture what I see, but more importantly, what I feel. I want you to feel them too, to experience them, and not merely look at them. As you will no doubt notice as you browse through this photo essay of 25 images, one of my favorite subjects to photograph is sunsets. I have photographed some spectacular sunsets in various regions of Canada, but nothing compares to the amazingly colourful evening skies here on Fogo Island.

The largest of Newfoundland's offshore islands, Fogo Island lies off the northeast coast near Lewisporte and Twillingate. There are eleven communities on our island, which has a total area of 254 square kilometres, and a population of 2,706 people. The original settlement of the island took place in the 18th century and the area remained isolated well into the 20th century. The English and Irish descendants of the first inhabitants retained traces of their Elizabethan English and Old Irish dialects which can still be heard on the Island today. Fogo Island, like most other Newfoundland outports, was built upon the fishery. With the decline of the cod stocks in the 1990's, crab, shrimp and lobster fisheries have largely replaced the cod fishery, and today there are still processing plants in operation on the island. Fogo Island has in recent years begun to actively promote its tourist attractions such as museums, hiking trails to abandoned settlements, icebergs, whale watching and the outport way of life. Each year, tourism is playing a larger role in the local economy. Just a 45 minute ferry ride from the mainland, Fogo Island is the perfect place for holiday travelers, with incredible ocean vistas, clean air and rugged beauty, and many summer festivals steeped in Irish heritage.

I hope that you may share a small piece of my passion for the outdoors, to experience a new perspective of landscape photography, and to witness all of the natural, rugged beauty that surrounds us in this wonderful province of Newfoundland.

Glen B.
Fogo Island, Newfoundland
www.focusonnewfoundland.com

Black Head Cove
[Image: panodd-1.jpg]

View from my window - Island Harbour
[Image: DSC02836_stitch1a.jpg]

Old fishing stages
[Image: DSC02157jpga.jpg]

Road to Island Harbour
[Image: DSC02240_stitchjpga.jpg]

Fogo Island longliner
[Image: panoaasa.jpg]

Island Harbour from a distance
[Image: panogfd-1.jpg]

Fogo Island sunset
[Image: DSC00161_stitchsite.jpg]

Another lovely sunset
[Image: pano121.jpg]

Another Island Harbour sunset
[Image: DSC00155a.jpg]

Typical Fogo Island scene
[Image: panohhjh-1.jpg]

Town of Fogo from high on a hill
[Image: panollo-1.jpg]

From our shore
[Image: DSC02213jpga-1.jpg]

Longliners in the historic town of Tilting
[Image: DSC04144a.jpg]

Original "saltbox" home and fishing stages
[Image: DSC00194a-1.jpg]

In the village of Deep Bay
[Image: DSC01735a.jpg]

Interesting ice formations on the rocks
[Image: DSC02046-1.jpg]

Sunset over the North Atlantic
[Image: DSC00120a-1.jpg]

Semi-frozen waves, and ice formations
[Image: DSC02052-1.jpg]

Another fishing stage
[Image: DSC01964.jpg]

Fogo Island "punt"
[Image: DSC00979a-1.jpg]

Unusual iceberg
[Image: DSC04354a-1.jpg]

Lobster traps
[Image: DSC00408a-1.jpg]

Secluded cove
[Image: DSC04316a.jpg]

Island Harbour stages
[Image: DSC00482a-1.jpg]

Surf at Thistle Point
[Image: DSC01029a-1.jpg]

Great stuff! Nice capture of light in all of them. Thanks for the eye candy!

Wonderful collection of shots. I have some super shots from my time in Newfoundland, but nothing like yours.

This is great stuff and I look forward to your participation here at ST.

Very nice. Road to Island Harbour is my favourite of the collection. I imagine it would be stunning in a big frame on the wall.

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Great series, welcome to Shuttertalk.

Enjoyed them all.
Thanks for sharing.

Bootiful. Wink

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Fogo Island Longliner and Typical both catch my eye amongst this stunning series. Looking forward to seeing more of your work here.

Canon stuff.

Very beautiful.

Nice to see this photo essay on display again.

Toad Wrote:Nice to see this photo essay on display again.
Super. I saw his photographs but I missed this one, great photographs,
Thank you,
Blessing and Happiness,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by GrahamS
Apr 7, 2019, 03:58