Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Beijing Antiques

As M was coming back from a short job in Shandong province,
he was passing Beijing and I joined him for a weekend. Most of the days we found ourselves heading to ever the same German restaurant just around the corner from our hotel. They brew Paulaner Weissbier there and I ate a half roasted Chicken every time we went. (there is nothing special really about German cuisine, but after a few months of Chinese diet, I enjoy a good chunk of meat!)

During the day we went to a couple of flower markets where I was trying to find the sort of small figurines I have lately been using for photo series, and one day we dived into Pan Jian Yuan Antiques Market, a huge bazaar selling tons and tons of just about every mass produced fake oddity you could ever dream of.

[Image: 8_IMG_1216-Edit.jpg]
1 sword

[Image: IMG_1234-Edit.jpg]
2 Chinese Shadow Puppet

[Image: IMG_1237-Edit.jpg]
3 seals, note Mao Ze Dong

[Image: IMG_1243-Edit.jpg]
4 pendants

[Image: IMG_1245-Edit.jpg]
5 perfume flasks

[Image: IMG_1263-Edit.jpg]
6 more perfume flasks

[Image: IMG_1268-Edit.jpg]
7 and even more perfume flasks

[Image: IMG_1313-Edit.jpg]
8 clay figurines

FYI: on my trips I often just carry the 350D with 50/1.4 attached (effect. 80mm). I love the lense and it is very versatile, I barely ever feel limited (except for the lack of very wide angles for our assignment....)

Greetings!

Uli

I like very much the light and shadows in your first picture. Are those perfume flasks painted by hand? They look beautiful.

I would like to know more about this kind of perfumes... I mean, who uses it, why so many with different shaps and paintings? Do you see also the traditional Rochas, Carolina Herrera or Chanel? Are they strong like essence?

I think you are doing a great job with this lens Uli.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Irma,

you know, they are actully empty bottles Smile
I didn't ask whether they were hand painted, I can't think of a way a machine could do that,
but maybe there is one.
As for perfumes, I wouldn't buy anything here, becuase 99% of it would be fake anyway!

Uli

Quote:you know, they are actully empty bottles
I thought they really had perfume...... Rolleyes

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by wulinka
Apr 23, 2008, 06:41