Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Bird photography: our best shots

There are a few more. Hope I'm not boring you too much with this.

If you can tolerate it, here's a few more.

Starting with the 'Black & White Minstrel Show'!!

And moving on to the 'Joker in the Pack'

Then on to the relatives over the road.

[/quote]

Thanks Jeff. I'm glad you know your stuff when it comes to our feathered friends, I'm hopeless at it. Smile

Regards.

Phil.
[/quote]

Phil If you are under 25 you should take up bird photography full time. Wink

Jeff

Just get's better. Ed.

To each his own!

Thanks Jeff. I'm glad you know your stuff when it comes to our feathered friends, I'm hopeless at it. Smile

Regards.

Phil.
[/quote]

Phil If you are under 25 you should take up bird photography full time. Wink

Jeff

[/quote]

No such luck Jeff, 63 last birthday. Sad

Regards.

Phil.

(Jul 14, 2015, 10:39)EdMak Wrote:  Just get's better. Ed.

Cheers Ed,

Nice of you to say so. Mind you, you've set an incredibly high standard for the rest of us to aim for. I might get there if I can keep breathing til I'm 120!! Smile

Best regards.

Phil.

This shot won me 2= at the local camera club end-of-year competition tonight for anyone who has not previously been placed.

First prize was a battle scene in Verona! For your interest, one of the judges would like to have seen this shot cropped much closer in to the eyes. Another wanted a slight (dark) vignette. But they liked it enough to rate it above some (in my opinion) much more technically and artistically competent pictures, so a placing was a surprise.

All the best

Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

(Jul 27, 2015, 14:21)Freeman Wrote:  This shot won me 2= at the local camera club end-of-year competition tonight for anyone who has not previously been placed.

First prize was a battle scene in Verona! For your interest, one of the judges would like to have seen this shot cropped much closer in to the eyes. Another wanted a slight (dark) vignette. But they liked it enough to rate it above some (in my opinion) much more technically and artistically competent pictures, so a placing was a surprise.

All the best

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

There's no telling with judges, as it's a matter of personal preference pure and simple. Anyway it's a cracking shot which jumps off my screen with so much detail. Did you use the D3 by any chance?

Regards.

Phil.

Hi Jeff,

There's no telling with judges, as it's a matter of personal preference pure and simple. Anyway it's a cracking shot which jumps off my screen with so much detail. Did you use the D3 by any chance?

Regards.

Phil.
[/quote]

Thanks, Phil! Ah, no, I used a D610+Nikon 80-400G.

All the best

Jeff

This photo was taken 3/1/2015 on Hilton Head Island, SC, USA
Canon 6D
AP f/ 2.8
TV 1/2000
ISO 400
Lens Canon 70/200
FL 160 mm

It was an unusual opportunity for the pelicans were diving into a tidal pool where fish flowed in and out with the changing tide. The pool was apx 30 ' x 20'

email - rich@rwdaley.com

Attached Files Image(s)

(Jul 31, 2015, 17:18)Rwdaley Wrote:  This photo was taken 3/1/2015 on Hilton Head Island, SC, USA
Canon 6D
AP f/ 2.8
TV 1/2000
ISO 400
Lens Canon 70/200
FL 160 mm

It was an unusual opportunity for the pelicans were diving into a tidal pool where fish flowed in and out with the changing tide. The pool was apx 30 ' x 20'

email - rich@rwdaley.com

Thanks for the techie info, Richard. I know how fast a pelican dive is - like a catapult - and you have achieved a great shot even allowing for the 1.2000 shutter speed.

Please post some more of your shots on the forum.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi all I spent a day practising my flying bird photography skills last week but this lttle chap sitting on a post I thought was captivating! All the best

Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

Another simply 'stunning' shot from Jeff's avian repertoire. Don't know how you do it Jeff, each one you post is a cracker.

A question please. D610 or D3s?

Best regards.

Phil.

Fantastic selection of Quality shots here.

Hi Phil

That shot was taken with the D610. Here's one or two from the D3s (I was carrying 2 cameras - aghhhh) - can you tell any difference? OK, look at the owl in the tree taken at 3200 ISO for deep shade and the flying bird also at 3200 ISO to help give extra shutter speed on a rather dull afternoon - no noise on either. The 610 focuses much more swiftly but in those circumstances couldn't compare for noise. I loved the relationship between the flyers and the flight attendants, don't you? Such tension and mutual respect in there...

You ask how I do it: well it's a very sophisticated technique - take vast numbers of shots and one of them is bound to be passing fair.I think they call it spray and pray. But to be fair in another sense, your recently posted peacock butterfly is a shot I have not yet managed to match despite a good many attempts.

Cheers all, Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi everyone

Having shared a few of my tame bird shots, it makes sense to offer a wild bird shot! Here's a sparrow hawk. He's chasing goldfinches across the lake. You wait all day for a half decent opportunity and then in a glorious flash of a few seconds, it's there. If you can pot the shot, you have it captured for ever in its merciless carnivorous beauty.

The shot was taken at 400mm f7.1 and ISO 400 at 1/500 - obviously the light was not ideal. I was using D610 so daren't go higher on ISO for more speed and the shot doesn't really bear much more cropping than I've already done. He's flying at 30-40kph.

Have a good day!

Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi guys

Well, I'm back on birds. I went to Norfolk to see the pink footed geese flying over in their thousands and much else besides. I came across two godwits pitting their wits and strength in quite dramatic conflict. I took some shots on 1/1250 at ISO1000 F7.1 400mm as it was wet and stormy, and late afternoon gloom in November. These dramatic shots look lifeless and I have failed to process them in anything like an adequate way to share. Here's a sample all I have done to these is cropping to about a third of the original.

Ed, and all, can these shots be rescued and how? Why are they so weak?

Cheers all - but it was a terrific scrap to watch - I assume the ringed male was defending his territory against a younger newcomer though there were any number of godwits around. Other watchers suggested they were married - but of course I immediately disparaged such an unworthy comment. x Sad

Attached Files Image(s)

Brilliant pictures. I have never been a bird photographer. Thousands of seagulls here. Our flats are 200 M from the sea and they see them as cliffs.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

(Jul 27, 2015, 14:21)Freeman Wrote:  This shot won me 2= at the local camera club end-of-year competition tonight for anyone who has not previously been placed.

All the best

Jeff

Jeff, see where he is coming from. The background, to me, is obtrusive. Here is an upright crop, bit of editing. Enhances the eyes also? Cheers. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

That crop certainly gives impact. Judges couldn't not like that.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Ok, try this one for size...taken in February this year but only this week considered for processing... Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

A background blur, via P/S Lens Blur, worth considering. Nice capture. Merry Xmas. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

(Dec 20, 2015, 16:32)Freeman Wrote:  Ok, try this one for size...taken in February this year but only this week considered for processing... Jeff

That is a very good bird portrait, Jeff. Do you know what it is?

Cheers.
Philip

P.S. The background gives the bird a pleasant natural environment and, in my view, it is sufficiently out of focus in the original photo.

Hi Phil and all

This is a frigate male - they are locally common on North Seymour Island but I'm sure they are found elsewhere also. Here's a couple of slightly different shots of frigates. Very impressive prehistoric looking bird with a wing span of 2.3metres (7 and half feet in real money). I have shots of the male passing a big stick to the female and so forth.

Happy Christmas!

Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

Gosh - even a built-in air-bag for crash landings. Smile

Thank you for the identification, Jeff.

Cheers.
Philip

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post