Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Bird photography: our best shots

A rescue found on the side of the road shot and dying, now healthy but blind in one eye
I get both sad and angry when I look at these photos
Canon 1DX
70-200mm 2.8 IS 11
Hand held 1/160 sec f 3.2 ISO 16000
[Image: %7BQ%7DAC3R6047%20dark%20contrast%20duplex-L.jpg]

I fully sympathize, Vincent, it's criminal.

I am interested that your shot is at 16,000 ISO, so presumably the bird was in it's quiet spot, but would be interested to know your thinking about taking the picture. You seem to have captured a sense of sorrow and sadness on the part of the bird as well as in you....makes a captivating shot....

Regards, Jeff

I know this humble little Dunock has drab and dull colours for plumage, but watching it in my garden bobbing around makes me chuckle.
There is a pair with only one chick that come in daily

Canon EOS 650D with 18-55 kit lens/ 75-300 zoom/ 100-400 zoom
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125137869@N08/

(Aug 17, 2014, 00:08)vincentvictor@shaw.ca Wrote:  A rescue found on the side of the road shot and dying, now healthy but blind in one eye
Canon 1DX
70-200mm 2.8 IS 11

Hi Vincent,

Welcome to the forum. Wow, that is some superb shot. Beautiful bird and a shame about the injuries sustained, I'm glad to know that they are now restored to good health.

Regards.

Phil.

From a falconry display

(Aug 17, 2014, 03:33)Freeman Wrote:  I fully sympathize, Vincent, it's criminal.

I am interested that your shot is at 16,000 ISO, so presumably the bird was in it's quiet spot, but would be interested to know your thinking about taking the picture. You seem to have captured a sense of sorrow and sadness on the part of the bird as well as in you....makes a captivating shot....

Regards, Jeff
Thank you Jeff
As I said was sad and angry as I took the photos, and perhaps a bit guilty that I was taking advantage of it's situation for a photo op.
I wanted to capture the beauty and nobility of this magnificent creature while somehow tying it in with the horrendous circumstances that led it to be there so those viewing it might feel as I felt.
Tough to do without an actual verbal or texted explanation.
This was actually demonstration in one of the wings of the Banff Springs Hotel to educate people on such atrocities.
This fellow was just packing up for the day and graciously allowed me to take a few hurried shots before leaving.
It was darkish, hence the 16,000 ISO (a testament to the low light capabilities of this camera)
A couple more from the same demo including the eagle's blind side, not sure of the barn owl's story apart from the fact that it's also a rescue, and it's just as sad.
Again, thank you for the compliment

Vincent

[Image: AC3R6036%20duplex-L.jpg]

[Image: AC3R6038%20duplex-L.jpg]

(Aug 17, 2014, 08:22)Phil J Wrote:  
(Aug 17, 2014, 00:08)vincentvictor@shaw.ca Wrote:  A rescue found on the side of the road shot and dying, now healthy but blind in one eye
Canon 1DX
70-200mm 2.8 IS 11

Hi Vincent,

Welcome to the forum. Wow, that is some superb shot. Beautiful bird and a shame about the injuries sustained, I'm glad to know that they are now restored to good health.

Regards.

Phil.
Thank you Phil
I was lucky to get the opportunity for these shots

Sony a290 Tamron 18/200mm, @ 40mm, 1/100 @ F10, hand held, 100 ISO. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

(Aug 17, 2014, 13:12)EdMak Wrote:  Sony a290 Tamron 18/200mm, @ 40mm, 1/100 @ F10, hand held, 100 ISO. Ed.
Very sharp, especially for hand held, love how you captured the cross hatching of the feathers

Bald Eagle

a Grackle I believe

Great Blue Heron

Swainson's Hawk chick

I was out for a drive in the foothills yesterday and came across these guys. They were nice enough to sit quietly while I parked across the road and shot some images.

The first one is juvenile Red Tail Hawk.

The second one appears to be a dark morph Red Tail Hawk or possible a Harlan's Hawk. I am not that great at identifying these birds when they are sitting still as you often need a view of the underside to make a positive identification.

Comments and questions are welcome.

WesternGuy

Number 2 looks quite pleased that he's caught lunch!! Smile

Regards.

Phil.

(Sep 1, 2014, 04:30)Phil J Wrote:  Number 2 looks quite pleased that he's caught lunch!! Smile

Regards.

Phil.

Yes, I am sure - looks like he has a gopher. I forgot to include that in my commentary and I couldn't find a way to edit my post. If you know how I can edit a post after it is posted, let me know, or point to the appropriate directions. Thanks.

WesternGuy

Right time and place, and, right actions, great. Ed.

Edit apparently is only Live/Available, for a specific time.

To each his own!

Ah, so that's what it is. I was wondering as well.

Cheers Ed.

Phil.

(Sep 1, 2014, 12:31)EdMak Wrote:  Right time and place, and, right actions, great. Ed.

Edit apparently is only Live/Available, for a specific time.

Thanks Ed. Glad you liked them.

As for being able to edit one's own post, do we know what that "specific time" is? It is unclear to me why the OP cannot retain "edit" rights in perpetuity.

WesternGuy

It's minutes, rather than hours, as far as I can make out. I can see the merits, both ways, a site i was on had infinitum, and, one was removed, by edit, the posts after, mainly, made no sense at all, and the thread was "indecipherable, one person took it as libelous, developed into a total farce. Ed.

To each his own!

(Sep 2, 2014, 01:20)EdMak Wrote:  It's minutes, rather than hours, as far as I can make out. I can see the merits, both ways, a site i was on had infinitum, and, one was removed, by edit, the posts after, mainly, made no sense at all, and the thread was "indecipherable, one person took it as libelous, developed into a total farce. Ed.
It would be nice if it could be say, 24 hours or even 48 hours. I can see your point though that if the OP removed the original post then the whole thing looks funny. I would say that if that happened, then it would be up to a moderator to remove the entire thread with a note to that effect replacing the original post - the wherefore and the why - so to speak. I mean, after all, that's why the Mods get paid the big bucks Big Grin Big Grin.

WesternGuy

Talking of Barbara, I've not seen anything of her for a while. Hope she's OK.

Regards.

Phil.

Had an E-Mail from her, last week. Ed.

To each his own!

Oh, good. That's reassuring. Strikes me as a good sort, does Barbara.

Phil.

Agreed. Must have heard us Phil!! Ed.

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/Thread...4#pid96774

To each his own!

Hey guys - I have been on site every day here. I may not always post each day on the forums as it depends on what is going on. Hope you all had a great Labor Day weekend!

I try to read all threads but occasionally one will pass by me, so if you ever need anything please send me a message.

You should be able to edit posts which are made in the forums. The system is set to allow moderators to delete threads (rather than the members). When we took over this site a few years ago, a few feathers were ruffled about the change and we had some taking down valuable posts in the forums - a very large number of them. This is why the delete function on threads is available to moderators only.

So, please let me know if you need anything! Glad to be of service the best I can! :0)

P.S. It would be a perfect world if the mods made good money in the internet world! But, this is not the perfect world is it? LOL Tongue The best part of my reward is learning from you all about how to improve my photography skills!

I love being here! I am learning more about photography of which I truly enjoy and always have had a deep passion for :0). You guys are awesome and appreciate each one of you! Shy

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Hi guys

I was in Singapore for the Grand Prix recently but took opportunity to find a birding guide and over two long days we recorded 97 species - you are welcome to see the official list provided by the guide if you wish - including some uncommon or endangered species. I will post a few of my shots and here is a first one - but to be honest I have not yet matched it by time and date to the list so can't name it I'm afraid. Kind regards... Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

(Sep 1, 2014, 04:30)Phil J Wrote:  Number 2 looks quite pleased that he's caught lunch!! Smile

Regards.

Phil.

I haven’t visited this site for some time so only just seen these two. Have the birds been isolated in PS and either put onto different backgrounds or backgrounds reworked/blurred? outlines of birds look a bit too sharp, to me.
Dean

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post