Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Bridal Portrait

[Image: bridal_final.jpg]
There were many to choose from, but the consensus was this.

An interesting and challenging project, but I don't think I want to pursue this line of work.

You captured a nice expression on her face. What didn't you like about the experience?

Canon stuff.

I think brides should make sure their dress will be ready a month before the wedding.
This allows a certain flexibility in scheduling--as it was, the last four days have been incredibly busy and hectic so it was hard to concentrate and give every task it's proper attention. Especially combined with my regular job's demands.

I definitely don't have the proper equipment for this--only one body (with only one battery), no fast lens, no spare anything, etc.
Also don't have the posing/directing skills.
Not equipped to shoot RAW yet.

It all turned out fine and everyone is happy, but the stress and worry was awful.
I recommended that they hire a pro but they refused even after I explained about the differences between shooting churches/highway ramps, and brides.

KeithAlanK Wrote:I recommended that they hire a pro but they refused even after I explained about the differences between shooting churches/highway ramps, and brides.
Smile

Canon stuff.

My bosses daughter gets married in Augusat...they have axked me to shoot it.. I have begged them to get a professional LOL.

Nice portrait Keith. I know what you mean about weddings. I have shot several. I *think* I do a decent job, but I don't have the aptitude or the attitude for it.

Toad Wrote:I know what you mean about weddings. I have shot several. I *think* I do a decent job, but I don't have the aptitude or the attitude for it.
Exactly.
It's a completely different beast, and my respect for those who do it well has gone way up.

I enjoyed that certain technical things get to be played with in a setting where you have to adapt and work fast for many exposures, like off-camera flash.
My DIY flash bracket was used constantly, and I was shooting in manual mode the entire time (both flash & camera--no TTL for me) yet even with limited practice it was gratifying to find that my exposures were all within the range of "close enough"-- +/-0.7EV deviation.
A little experience plus the handy exposure computer that many flashes have on their backs helps.

I never had to change lenses since the 18-70mm Sony kit lens handles a wide enough range compared to most other cheap glass.
Moving closer is free.

Everyone's favorite is this shot of the bride with my GF's nieces, and her in the background laughing:
[Image: wedding05.jpg]

Good job Keith... I think weddings are high pressure, high expectation events and you definitely need to be of a certain breed to enjoy that line of work. I tried it once and like you, I managed to get nice pics which they were happy with but it was a really challenging day.

Good to see the DIY flash bracket got a workout! Big Grin

I just gave the newlyweds a CD with all the keepers--around 160 out of 220 exposures made.
Mostly the rejects were because of closed eyes, open mouths, and taking a shot before the flash was recycled. Maybe 2 were out of focus. Some were exposure tests. Some were personal.
I shot 2 or three of everything important so got all the high points covered, which is all that matters.
They saw a slideshow and are happy with my work.
I didn't do any editing for the CD--told them they can print 4x6"s with it but for any enlargements I will want to run them through Photoshop.

While doing my research earlier this year I came across many versions of this:
[Image: kak.wedding03.jpg]

It was the only time I took out my wireless flash triggers and the grid I built to narrow the beam.
Used the same bible from the ceremony and let the bride pick the page, which may have been a mistake if you read what's there.
Personally, I got a big laugh out of it.
The Pastor had never seen this done, and was very excited.
Had to use the groom's ring because the bride's was so thin I couldn't get it to stand up, but they look identical so it works.

At the reception I shot the bouquet toss of course, plus the first dance, cake cutting, and the grand exit.
Not too much else, but that's what the other 50 digital cameras everyone brought are for, plus the disposables placed on the tables.
Since I'm a sound engineer I was also playing the music, making announcements, and even ended up scooping out the ice cream that was served with the cakes.
The search is on for photos of that--many people were surprised since I'm too cool for that. Cool But the job needed to be done so I stepped up.

Glad it's over, but this week has been almost as busy--learning songs on bass for my first practice with a new version of a favorite band.
After 25 years I'm going to be playing live (and in the studio) again.

So I guess I can add wedding photographer/DJ and bass player to my resume.

Wow - you sure wore a lot of hats at the wedding. Well done and I love that shot of the bride with the other girls.

Canon stuff.

I love the ring picture - every time she looks at it, she'll see love and commitment. Every time he looks at it, he'll think 'circumcision'.

A colleague of mine is one of those photographers who likes to shoot people, and he's good enough that people ask him to do it and pay him money. He has a couple of weddings coming up this summer, and I know he's busy, so I offered to help out if he needs it. He thought about it, and eventually said to me: "maybe if I need help with post-processing..." Clearly, he's seen my photography. Big Grin

I do have a lot of respect for wedding photographers, who have a demanding job and face a lot of cost pressure from people who think that they can do the same job since they got a Powershot A580 for christmas. Either one of those would drive me up the wall, so I can't imagine dealing with both. Big Grin

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

That's amazing Keith - managing to multi task like that... sounds like it was a good experience, if somewhat exhausting (from the sound of it)... Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Korry
Nov 19, 2013, 09:04
Last Post by EdMak
Oct 20, 2013, 04:04