Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can anyone recommend a pocket/handbag camera

Hi All,

I've recently upgraded to a Canon 600D, previously used an Olympus SP570UZ which was not a great lot smaller than an SLR. What i'd really like now is a small camera that I can carry with me all the time. Every time I go out without my camera, I regret not having it with me! But of course it's just not practical to carry a big camera everywhere.

The best feature of my Olympus was an autofocus mode that allowed me to move the focus area to any point on the screen.

I would like a camera that also has manual focus, doesn't matter if it's hard to use, it's just helpful for those shots when the auto focus has trouble.

I like a good zoom, my Olympus was 20x zoom, I understand my Tamron lens is equivalent to about 15x.

Obviously something that allows you to adjust settings, I have yet to find a camera that takes satisfying shots in Auto mode. (not that I have used many different cameras, I must admit!)

To sum up, I'd love a little camera that has these features:
1. Autofocus feature that allows you to choose the focus area (is there a correct way to describe this?)
2. Good zoom
3. Manual focus (not essential)
4. Allows manual adjustment of settings
5. Good macro setting

Can anyone recommend a camera that has these features?

Previously I've looked at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ20 which sounded quite good.

A friend recently showed me her Ricoh R10 (probably an older camera?) that had an amazing lot of features for a small camera.

The camera I want may not exist, but thought someone here may be able to make a suggestion!

thanks Smile

Anne

Hi Anne, I would recommend the Canon S100 - my family members have been very happy with the previous two models, the S90 and S95.

One of the good points about this camera is that it does allow you to move away from the "green auto" mode and drop into manual mode, where you have more control. I believe all your requirements - focus point selection, manual focus, manual adjustments, macro - are addressed.

It also has a cracker of a lens, and allows you to zoom by rotating a ring instead of pushing buttons.

Matthew, one of our admins has also reviewed the S100 here:
http://www.thewsreviews.com/2012/01/canon-s100.html

Although the Panny is a very able performer as well.

Ooops, sorry I missed the bit about having a good zoom... in that case you can't go past the Pannys. Big Grin

The S100 only has a 5x zoom...

I have a LX5, but for out and about I miss the TZ5 which I lost two years ago. Small neat and always ready.
I have seen a lot of shots from the TZ20 which look pretty good, on the assumption the user knows what they are doing.
I mean it has all the usual scene shots and 'idiot modes' but I very nearly always used AV on it and I was quite happy.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Thank you all for the suggestions, I'll have a closer look at the cameras you have mentioned.

(An M9 fits into a handbag OK, doesn't it Rob..? Big Grin )

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

I have just seen an advert for Canon SX260 HS 20x zoom with GPS
Canon powershot SX240 20x zoom without GPS http://www.pcworld.com/article/249371/ca...meras.html

and Panasonic TZ 20 http://www.trustedreviews.com/Panasonic-...era_review .
May be only 16x zoom Blush There is a new one TZ30 , too.

Unless you go bigger than handbag size (depends on your handbag mind you, Ive seen some whoppers. )
these should fit the bill. My only criticism of them is the lack of an eye viewfinder of any sort.
I detest them when the sun is bright and you cannot see anything in the screen at all.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post