Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Canadian Bird

Any twitchers out there?

Took this last week in my back garden in Calgary... there were a lot of them just eating the berries of the Choke Cherry Tree... anyone any idea what it is?

Details:
Camera - Canon EOS 1Ds Mklll
Lens - Canon EF 300mm f2.8L is
Aperture - f 11
Shutter - 1/4000

Apart from shrinking for the site, no post applied

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

A really beautiful photo. Looks like a Bohemian waxwing to me.
Regards
Jane

(Dec 9, 2014, 12:01)snaphappy Wrote:  A really beautiful photo. Looks like a Bohemian waxwing to me.
Regards
Jane

Hi Jane! Thank you... It is... now that you gave me the name I looked up a picture and hey presto! Big Grin I like to take wildlife pics... trouble is I have little idea about some of the birds over here - the differ markedly from what I was used to in the UK. Are you into Birds/Bird photography?
Kind regards
Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Hi Rolf
I take the occasional bird photo if I can, but am not a specific bird photographer. I feed birds in my garden in England, but recognised your bird from a photograph I had seen recently.
Jane

(Dec 9, 2014, 13:03)snaphappy Wrote:  Hi Rolf
I take the occasional bird photo if I can, but am not a specific bird photographer. I feed birds in my garden in England, but recognised your bird from a photograph I had seen recently.
Jane
Thank you for taking the time to reply, and your kind assistance.Smile

Kind regards
Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

We get the Waxwing in Britain as a migratory bird from further north. Estimation of the numbers from December to March are in the region of 12,000 birds. They arrive to feed on many berrying plants, especially when supplies haven been exhausted in their native regions. Many more also pass through Britain to winter in more southerly climes.

Peter

Photography is a never-ending journey

(Dec 9, 2014, 15:21)Plantsman Wrote:  We get the Waxwing in Britain as a migratory bird from further north. Estimation of the numbers from December to March are in the region of 12,000 birds. They arrive to feed on many berrying plants, especially when supplies haven been exhausted in their native regions. Many more also pass through Britain to winter in more southerly climes.

Peter
Thanks Peter... didn't know that and to my recollection, Canada is the first and only place I have seen this bird. I lived mainly Shrewsbury and latterly the southern counties and London before emigrating so maybe the bird doesn't venture that far south. It is a really eye catching bird... very fleeting though... we see it in almost "swarms" for one day in the year when they come to grab the berries and be gone. Their Robin here is about 4 times the size of our native one in the UK... not as endearing as a bigger more "common" looking bird.
Have a good evening
Kind regards
Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Beautiful capture.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Great shot, the name is pertinent. First look I thought it was a decoy, until I read further on. Ed.

To each his own!

Thanks Ed.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Hi Rolf Please send those waxwings over here, could you? Would love to have them in my back garden, that's for sure! ..Jeff

Apparently, they are in the UK already... I have never seen them until now in Canada, but Plantsman says that they are around at this time of year albeit "up north" in the UK....
Anyway... have a couple moreSmile (cut) paste to your tree? Big Grin

Kind regards
Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Lovely, lovely pictures and yes we have them here (not the same exactly though - ours come from Scandinavia in bad weather) but not in my garden sadly and I've not personally seen one. We do have around 3 dozen recorded varieties in our garden though.

Very interested in your settings - f11 at 1/4000 - you must have some great light to do that even with a 2.8 lens?

Cheers Jeff

ISO 1600, helps! Ed.

To each his own!

Very interested in your settings - f11 at 1/4000 - you must have some great light to do that even with a 2.8 lens?

Cheers Jeff

[/quote]
I think the ISO setting was 400. Needed that to get a shutter speed that slowed these guys down a tad... Shooting up into that blue sky too... The light here in southern Alberta is fantastic. The skies really are THAT blue... very deep blue on some days, especially when you drive an hour west into the Rockies! All winter long with very little exception, we have temperatures hovering around -20- -35C but that's a dry cold. Every day though is bright sunshine, not a hint of cloud anywhere and BLUE!! I do miss the odd cloudy foggy UK Autumnal days though... been here nearly 6 years and have yet to see Fog here... light mist over the Bow River twice but that's about it! Worked in the UAE... every day +40C and cloudless sunny days and warm +25C nights... paradise? Monotony after a while... I longed for RAIN!! UK has some great light variations... envy you all now.
Kind regards
Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

It's a Cedar Waxwing I think.

(Dec 9, 2014, 11:35)Rolf Wrote:  Any twitchers out there?

Took this last week in my back garden in Calgary... there were a lot of them just eating the berries of the Choke Cherry Tree... anyone any idea what it is?

Details:
Camera - Canon EOS 1Ds Mklll
Lens - Canon EF 300mm f2.8L is
Aperture - f 11
Shutter - 1/4000

Apart from shrinking for the site, no post applied

My goodness - stunning images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Jocko
Jul 18, 2016, 01:35
Last Post by EdMak