Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Caterpillar

Second submission - here is the caterpillar...............

Attached Files Image(s)

Again Pat, Blurred the background, tightened it up a bit, not a lot done really?? Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Thanks, Ed. It's interesting, I work hard at getting my backgrounds not to seem so blurred, and actually, the caterpillar really stands out with the background blurred. Fascinating little creature. "It's the little things.........."

(Apr 15, 2015, 16:02)EdMak Wrote:  Again Pat, Blurred the background, tightened it up a bit, not a lot done really?? Ed.

I find typically the sharper the background, the more distracting it is. I try to shoot as open as possible to through the background out of focus, and concentrate teh viewer on the subject.

Now on landscapes you obviously want the background in focus.

The blurring on this image hides the noise, not sure what ISO you used, but it does seem a tad noisy. On composition I would try to move the subject out of dead center.

I agree with Ed and Bob re. the blurring of the background. However, in this image it is also the intensity of the coloured background that is a distraction from the subject for me. So another edit that you might consider is to lower the brightness and saturation of the background, to make the caterpillar stand out more, e.g. -

Cheers.
Philip

I am sure the noise is over sharpening. The ISO is 400. Ed.

To each his own!

I'm still learning how to use ISO. There are so many things that can be done. I just set it at 400 and "forgot" it. LOL

(Apr 16, 2015, 13:46)EdMak Wrote:  I am sure the noise is over sharpening. The ISO is 400. Ed.

Thanks, Phillip, Bob, and Ed, I am working on the "details" of how to present these shots to their best view. And critiques from experienced photogs is wonderful learning tool. I can get the shots, it's what I do afterward to them is what I need to perfect. I guess that takes a lot of work and experience.

(Apr 16, 2015, 10:57)MrB Wrote:  I agree with Ed and Bob re. the blurring of the background. However, in this image it is also the intensity of the coloured background that is a distraction from the subject for me. So another edit that you might consider is to lower the brightness and saturation of the background, to make the caterpillar stand out more, e.g. -

Cheers.
Philip