Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Central China, Yunnan

I'm about half way through our pictures from the trip and have been wanting to post some for a while, if I wait until I am done processing them all, it will never happen anyway (Jules?) Big Grin.

I am still not sure about the category.
There are generally two or three kinds of shots I do.

I most definitely suck at landscapes, and have the hardest time getting anything usefull out of what I shot.
my pictures do not nearly represent the gorgeous places we visited. An additional challenge is the high contrast in many pictures, as of course you can't always choose the time of day and weather when you get to a place.

these are some shots from "jiu zhai gou" or Nine Village Valley in Yunnan, World Heritage and inhabited by only a few Tibetans.

[Image: _MG_6630landscape.jpg]

[Image: _MG_6641landscape.jpg]

[Image: _MG_6694landscape.jpg]

[Image: _MG_6711landscape.jpg]

[Image: _MG_6747landscape.jpg]

Since I am shooting RAW, I could probably make more out of these. Maybe you have some ideas for me?
or tips on filters, settings etc?
Faces with the amount of pictures you bring back from a trip I am somewhat reluctant to dive into complicated, time consuming post processing.....

Then there are a lot of pictures that I take to show people what we saw, sort of journalistic shots that should be self explanatory.
I find they are often mediocre, I am not very skilled and have little practice filling a wider angle, and again,
the contrast often kills what I was attempting.
Here are some OKish ones:

[Image: 88__MG_6792tibetan%20house.jpg]

[Image: _MG_6811weavers.jpg]

[Image: 83__MG_7293papercutting.jpg]

the following one is one I like much more and where the contrast is part of the picture rather than disturbing it.

[Image: _MG_7332cart%20driver.jpg]

Or I get a snapshot, that is anything but a good picture, but for other reasons worth showing:

[Image: _MG_7447cowhead.jpg]

and occasionally I manage to get one I really like, like this portrait this guy painting his signature onto his drawings:

[Image: _MG_7316portrait.jpg][img]What I really like however, and feel I am much better at shooting, are always the close-ups and detail shots. Whether wide or longer, I like to be close. And many times a smaller frame of course will have the advantage of more even lighting.
So I come up with shots like these, that are no longer self explaining, but taken together still add to the pictures of China created in teh viewers mind:

these are eggs boiled in tea, one of the many omnipresent snacks sold in the streets for ever hungry Chinese

[Image: _MG_7383eggs.jpg]

Wonderful shots. I like your journalistic / people stuff better as it seems to be more your passion. The one of the woman in blue in profile in the doorway is awesome and is my fav. Can't wait to see more.

somehow this post is here twice, the other one is more complete. i must have posted this one accidentally when I was half way through.

Let's close this one.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by jinko
Oct 20, 2012, 08:06