Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Challenge 2012 May: LONG TIME

Awesome, Angela!

Just a little longer now…

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thanks everyone! The images contributed so far to the LONG TIME challenge are going to be sent off to the judges, and I expect to have the results and comments within a few days.

Of course, this thread remains open for any additional photos and discussion that fits the theme, so have fun!

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Here's a video that goes well with the theme of the challenge - a sports stadium being transformed 6 times over 4 days to support basketball and hockey games for 2 different teams.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/05/23/time...four-days/

And the results are back! I conscripted three photographers to serve as judges, including one who had provided feedback for the April challenge, and here's what they said.

Pavel's "Ravages of times now long gone" was the judges' favourite for its expressive quality and interpretation of the theme. The subject, composition, and treatment were all singled out as excellent. Congratulations!

bobscola "Time in New York" is a classic photo from Grand Central don't-call-it-Station Terminal, which is pretty much the definition of a difficult environment. There's certainly a lot to look at, but a couple of the judges would have liked even more motion blur from the crowd.

Toad This is a great still life collection, well executed and intriguing, but its strong evocation of travel and exploration overwhelmed the idea of time. I suspect now that the choice of Tanzania as the area to focus on speaks quite strongly to the theme, but it's a subtle note and didn't occur to any of us during the discussion…

NT, I didn't show the judges any of the comments or thoughts in the thread, but they all agreed that a light box would help to tame the reflections. One went further, and said that the span of twenty seconds across the bottom of the watch was just about perfect as an expression of the theme, and would like to see the photo cropped down to really concentrate on that. The gradations in the blue amd the level of detail is excellent.

thistledoo, the judges absolutely loved this shot for its detail, colour, composition, and the action. It's rare to see an image with such 'pop' that also has so much staying power and interest. But like the ant with its water, they couldn't quite reach the theme, even though they loved it otherwise.

Thanks so much everyone! We'll do it all again in June… Big Grin

Well done Pavel.
And interesting to read what others outside our fold, think too. Smile

Thanks to Matthew for the write up and theme too. Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Thank you Julian for running this on your site, Matthew for considerable effort (I wish there were more participants) in administering this competition. I hope it takes off. Newfoundland/Labrador area is very special to me. Harsh, cold windy, rocky, largely empty and desolate area, it stands witness to human courage and endurance. People used to live from subsistence fishing, but fish stocks have been declining and prices for fish are low and the whole way of life is disappearing as people are moving from their fishing homes to few cities or out of the Province, returning only to retire. This photo and some of the others I took in Newfoundland tries to communicate that

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

Once again a big thank you to Matthew for organising this challenge, a lot of hard work and thought goes into each one. I'm also very encouraged at the participation from everyone - your efforts speak from the heart (Pavel's being one example of but not the only) and is very much appreciated.

As mentioned previously there are more sponsors and prizes lined up so I'll keep them running as long as there is interest. Next month's sponsor / prize is especially exciting... but you will have to wait a few more days until the next challenge is announced. Big Grin

Congrats again Pavel, I'll make the formal announcements on the front page etc. soon. Big Grin

Congrats Pavel! Your image was stunning!

Thanks to Matthew, Shuttertalk and the Judges. Love the feedback, and have to agree with them, lol, the image was a bit of a stretch to the theme Wink

Angela

Hey all, sorry for the late post but here is the "official" announcement!

http://www.shuttertalk.com/2012/06/photo...nners.html

Congratulations again! I'll be in touch with the winners to get you your prizes.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Jun 30, 2016, 08:29