Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Changing the subject.

Hi
Hope this is the right section to post this.

While trying, and failing, to take a decent photo of a 300 year old bridge yesterday I took this one from the roadside above it. I like it, but I'm not sure why.... Pentax K-30, Kit lens @18mm, f5.6, 1/250 sec. No pp. Any comments welcome

BTW, Here's the bridge(s) I was trying to capture, with some pp.

Coachline.

The first adjustment I think I would make is to apply fill-light to the foreground of both, then perhaps crop the first to a 5:4 ratio:

But what do you think Coach?

Philip

I prefer the first picture being dark. The dark trees then act as a frame for the fields beyond. Making the trees lighter makes them the picture.

As I see it, but, same old song, "To each his own". (I preferred the Ink Spots version)! Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

(Jan 12, 2014, 07:47)MrB Wrote:  The first adjustment I think I would make is to apply fill-light to the foreground of both, then perhaps crop the first to a 5:4 ratio:

But what do you think Coach?

Philip

Hi Philip.

Thanks for your input, that's a big improvement you've made. Unfortunately, I don't have any programs that can do that. I did also consider cropping but wasn't sure to what degree.

Regards

Coachline.

(Jan 12, 2014, 10:55)John M Wrote:  I prefer the first picture being dark. The dark trees then act as a frame for the fields beyond. Making the trees lighter makes them the picture.

Thanks John.

I also like the 'dark framing' effect but it's also nice to see all the detail being brought out.

Regards

Coachline.

(Jan 12, 2014, 11:10)EdMak Wrote:  As I see it, but, same old song, "To each his own". (I preferred the Ink Spots version)! Ed.

Great job, Ed

I like it very much. Thank you.

Regards

Coachline.

If anyone is interested, here's a link to Wiki's info on the bridge(s).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumbling_Bridge

Coachline

(Jan 12, 2014, 11:17)coachline56 Wrote:  Hi Philip.

Thanks for your input, that's a big improvement you've made. Unfortunately, I don't have any programs that can do that. I did also consider cropping but wasn't sure to what degree.

Regards

Coachline.

Hello again Coachline

If you have a Windows computer, you might enjoy having a look at a free program for editing photos called FastStone Image Viewer -

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

If you decide to download and install it, open your picture file in FastStone, click on the Colours Menu, then on Adjust Lighting. At the bottom of the screen there is a slider for the Shadows - move it right and the dark areas in your picture will brighten, it's as easy as that. When it's done to your satisfaction, click on OK, and then save your image with a new name, so you still have the original file. Of course, there are lots of other parameters that you can change before saving it, including cropping - it's fun experimenting!

Philip

(Jan 12, 2014, 13:40)MrB Wrote:  
(Jan 12, 2014, 11:17)coachline56 Wrote:  Hi Philip.

Regards

Coachline.

Hello again Coachline

If you have a Windows computer, you might enjoy having a look at a free program for editing photos called FastStone Image Viewer -

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

If you decide to download and install it, open your picture file in FastStone, click on the Colours Menu, then on Adjust Lighting. At the bottom of the screen there is a slider for the Shadows - move it right and the dark areas in your picture will brighten, it's as easy as that. When it's done to your satisfaction, click on OK, and then save your image with a new name, so you still have the original file. Of course, there are lots of other parameters that you can change before saving it, including cropping - it's fun experimenting!

Philip

Hi Philip

I have several windows pcs, it being an old hobby building, repairing and upgrading them. I have also used Faststone but only for re-sizing multiple photos for Flickr. I shall certainly follow your link and give it a try.

Cheers.

Coachline.

And, as I see the Bridge. Cheers. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

(Jan 12, 2014, 16:06)EdMak Wrote:  And, as I see the Bridge. Cheers. Ed.

Lovely job, Ed

Regards

Coachline.

Amazing!!

2 sliders moved and then cropped. I still like the image.

Thanks again Philip.

Coachline.

You're welcome, Coachline. It appears to be a good user-friendly program considering that it is free software.

I see you have made your image into your desktop wallpaper - good idea. If it were mine the crop would probably be square to confirm the lake as the centre of interest in the composition but, as Ed writes,"To each his own" - just as some prefer B&W conversions, or a more artistic interpretation of colours.

The software I use for processing images is mainly PaintShop Pro X4. With scenes like these, the camera sees things differently to us, so my aim is usually to try to make the image more realistic, that is - how I imagine human vision would perceive the scene at the time it was captured. For example, this is how the bridge might have looked to me:

Cheers.
Philip

(Jan 12, 2014, 19:36)MrB Wrote:  You're welcome, Coachline. It appears to be a good user-friendly program considering that it is free software.

I see you have made your image into your desktop wallpaper - good idea. If it were mine the crop would probably be square to confirm the lake as the centre of interest in the composition but, as Ed writes,"To each his own" - just as some prefer B&W conversions, or a more artistic interpretation of colours.

The software I use for processing images is mainly PaintShop Pro X4. With scenes like these, the camera sees things differently to us, so my aim is usually to try to make the image more realistic, that is - how I imagine human vision would perceive the scene at the time it was captured. For example, this is how the bridge might have looked to me:

Cheers.
Philip

Hi Philip

The FastStone program is very easy to use and seems to do all that you could wish for. I have used Photoshop (although not since CS2), Corel Photopaint 9 (I think) and early versions of Paintshop Pro. They were all fairly easy to use and fun for a while.

I did crop the image square to start with but it left a black band either side of the desktop so I re-did it. I could live with it either way.

Your 'view' of the bridge is pretty good, although the bright morning sunshine on the other side made the bridge seem darker on the side I photographed.

Regards

Coachline.

(Jan 12, 2014, 11:17)coachline56 Wrote:  Unfortunately, I don't have any programs that can do that. I did also consider cropping but wasn't sure to what degree.
Regards

Coachline.

I'm a little confused.
What software are you using that crops but not fill light adjustment?
Even the FREE Picasa from Google does that, and a whole lot more.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

(Jan 16, 2014, 12:49)Wall-E Wrote:  
(Jan 12, 2014, 11:17)coachline56 Wrote:  Unfortunately, I don't have any programs that can do that. I did also consider cropping but wasn't sure to what degree.
Regards

Coachline.

I'm a little confused.
What software are you using that crops but not fill light adjustment?
Even the FREE Picasa from Google does that, and a whole lot more.

Hi Wall-E

I have just been using Windows 7 Paint program. I've done posters, collages, even cloned out an ex-boyfriend for a mate's niece in the past so I do know how to use software creatively but hadn't bought, or downloaded, any for a while until Philip (MrB) put me on to the FastStone site. I think the magazines had me brainwashed into thinking that it was Photoshop or nothing!. Yesterday, a friend gave me his copy of CorelDraw X3 (because he's now got Photoshop) so I look forward to having loads more 'keepers'

Regards

Coachline.

Personally, in the second photo, I would have cropped the lower bridge.
The view through the lower bridge gives the feel that you want to go through it.
Two bridges with the top one missing part of it is too congested

Canon EOS 650D with 18-55 kit lens/ 75-300 zoom/ 100-400 zoom
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125137869@N08/

(Jan 18, 2014, 13:27)johnytrout Wrote:  Personally, in the second photo, I would have cropped the lower bridge.
The view through the lower bridge gives the feel that you want to go through it.
Two bridges with the top one missing part of it is too congested

Hi johnytrout

Appreciate your comments.

As I mentioned at the beginning, I felt that I had failed to capture the bridge satisfactorily but was pleased with the one photo of the view from it. Having looked at the photos several times since, I think I almost got it right with this one...

Regards

Coachline

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by kNox
Feb 23, 2015, 02:18