Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cheddar Gorge

Took these photos last week with my Canon EOS600D. The first one was taken at Cheddar Gorge, Somerset camera settings f4.5, 1/50 sec. ISO 100, 18mm focal length

The second one was taken on camera setting f5.6, 1/80 sec. ISO 400, 10mm focal length with a canon 10-22mm lens

The third one was taken at Weston-Super-Mare camera settings f6.3, 1/60 sec. ISO 100, 22mm focal length

All comments are very welcome.

Regards
Jane

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello Jane.

It is a shame that the first two shots are let down by their bright featureless skies. However, the third photo is a very nice composition, with good depth and wonderful colours throughout.

Cheers.
Philip

(Oct 28, 2014, 15:04)MrB Wrote:  Hello Jane.

It is a shame that the first two shots are let down by their bright featureless skies. However, the third photo is a very nice composition, with good depth and wonderful colours throughout.

Cheers.
Philip

Thank you Philip

The first two were taken when it was very misty around the gorge. Not good enough yet to change them in post production - still learning. I thought the same about the skies in those photos but liked the rest of them.

Thanks
Jane

Jane, one out of three is avery good average! Ed.

To each his own!

(Oct 28, 2014, 16:06)snaphappy Wrote:  Thank you Philip

The first two were taken when it was very misty around the gorge. Not good enough yet to change them in post production - still learning. I thought the same about the skies in those photos but liked the rest of them.

Thanks
Jane

Jane,

The first one could be made to look more like a dull day to reduce the glare of the white sky. That just requires playing around with the controls for brightness, contrast, highlights and shadows. It also has a good side effect, because it reveals more of the detail in the swirling water at the base of the falls.

For the second one you could consider just cropping to remove the sky. The effect of that would be to make the gorge seem even more imposing above the three tiny figures (two people and their dog), because then we don't know how high the rock face goes.

Examples:

Adjustments like those will, of course, work much better on the full-size images, and they are easy to make in most imaging software, even in free stuff like the "Faststone Image Viewer" that was used for the above edits. Just have a go, using full-size copies of your originals, and enjoy yourself! Smile

Cheers.
Philip

I absolutely positively love these - great job!

I agree - the third shot is a cracker! I also really like Philip's crop, because the eye is now drawn down naturally to the dog walkers, making sense of the composition. I say that because I nearly failed to spot these figures in the original. Rob

Jane, consider the Gorge as an upright. The seaside, is well worth a bit of tweaking. These are P/S, and, a from very small file size. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

(Oct 28, 2014, 17:47)MrB Wrote:  
(Oct 28, 2014, 16:06)snaphappy Wrote:  Thank you Philip

Thanks
Jane

Jane,

The first one could be made to look more like a dull day to reduce the glare of the white sky. That just requires playing around with the controls for brightness, contrast, highlights and shadows. It also has a good side effect, because it reveals more of the detail in the swirling water at the base of the falls.

For the second one you could consider just cropping to remove the sky. The effect of that would be to make the gorge seem even more imposing above the three tiny figures (two people and their dog), because then we don't know how high the rock face goes.

Examples:

Adjustments like those will, of course, work much better on the full-size images, and they are easy to make in most imaging software, even in free stuff like the "Faststone Image Viewer" that was used for the above edits. Just have a go, using full-size copies of your originals, and enjoy yourself! Smile

Cheers.
Philip

Hi Philip
Thank you once again for your comments. I like what you have done to tone down the sky. I shall certainly be trying this out on some of my other photos.

Regards
Jane

(Oct 28, 2014, 23:59)Jeffbridge Wrote:  I absolutely positively love these - great job!

Thank you Jeff.

Regards Jane

(Oct 29, 2014, 06:43)RobS Wrote:  I agree - the third shot is a cracker! I also really like Philip's crop, because the eye is now drawn down naturally to the dog walkers, making sense of the composition. I say that because I nearly failed to spot these figures in the original. Rob

Thank you RobS. I tried to get a sense of scale using the people and their dog.

With regards
Jane

(Oct 29, 2014, 06:44)EdMak Wrote:  Jane, consider the Gorge as an upright. The seaside, is well worth a bit of tweaking. These are P/S, and, a from very small file size. Ed.

Thank you Ed. You have certainly given me something to think about and try out. Very grateful for all your comments.

Jane