Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chelters and the new lens(2)

This trendy mini-centre does have some fine lines,as it has had to somehow blend in with the original 18th century architecture and street lines. Here at f22, 16mm again, though I've cropped a little. I was surprised in the pp stage just how little sharpening I've had to do; also, with my 10-22mm( I know I'm seeing things from a 1.6 crop) I'd never have the confidence in it to really go through the apertures.

[Image: IMG_0031-02%20web.jpg]

It's nice to be able to use a lens this wide for cheeky candids: pointing it seemingly away from a subject but really framing them up!
This was around 20mm at f8; for some reason I've added a touch of diffusion, as it reminded me of some of the old Leica shots of long ago.

[Image: old%20lady-final-web.jpg]

And a quaint little inner market, f22 to blur movement:

[Image: 3-softcolmarketWEB.jpg]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

1 - it's interesting to compare this conversion with the colour version in the "two moods" thread. I'm not sure if I prefer colour or monochrome, but I do like the uncropped version and the colour's detail in the sky.

2 - I was thinking about this a couple of days ago as I did the exact same thing: placing a person in the corner of the frame so that they would not realize that they were a part of the composition. (From the looks I recorded, I'm not convinced that I was successful.) There's quite a lot that works in the composition of this photo.

3 - The blurred people add an interesting element, but I have to admit that I have an unreasonable hatred for the "showcase" sign. Something else that caught my eye is the way you've managed to keep some of the skylight frames from blowing out, but the photo doesn't look like an HDR.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Ta matt. Yes, that sign is an eyesore(no, not an HDR)..its "blownoutness" is the clue as to the exposure: I metered from the inside of the courtyard, thus overexposing the foreground and the sign, hence f22 giving me momement blur from the figures. This also allowed enough detail to be held by the highlit skylight, but I had to burn it in as it was "thin".

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

I really like the second shot in this series Zig. The human placement is perfect and adds a story.

Canon stuff.

#2 is the big keeper of you want my 2 bits (2 pieces of eight). The others also good captures but not as interesting. I preferred #1 in color in the 2 moods thread. #2 is Capital A art though IMHO.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Vanisle John
Oct 15, 2016, 10:53
Last Post by caveman
Mar 1, 2016, 09:22
Last Post by Jeffbridge
Feb 17, 2016, 02:50