Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cinque Terre, Italy

Cinque terre translates to English as "Five lands" and is the name given to an incredible collection of five unique coastal villages built very close together, literally on a cliff face not far from the Italian city of La Spezia.

There are no roads in or out of the villages. Apart from access by boat or walking, the only other access is by a railway that tunnels through the steep hillside and links the villages to the outside world.
It's incredible to think that people actually *live* like this. The rediculously steep landscape just puts everything on top of everything else. There are tunnels everywhere, and zig zag laneways and stairways to cope with almost-vertical inclines.
But as well as being truly unique, it was also stunningly beautiful.

[Image: 1190977360_2QDhe-L.jpg]
1. Riomaggiore.

[Image: 1190977987_PJ95a-L.jpg]
2. Some locals on the walkway joining the villages.

[Image: 1190977073_rkiqo-L.jpg]
3. Riomaggiore.

[Image: 1190977676_n9vCm-L.jpg]
4. The most spectacular train station I've ever seen. The train comes out of a hillside tunnel to a station on the edge of a cliff, then heads straight back into the hillside again.

[Image: 1190979016_Nhu7x-L.jpg]
5. Manarola

[Image: 1190978414_gT3DJ-L.jpg]
6. Woman and child on the walkway.

[Image: 1190978753_NEL3v-L.jpg]
7. Manarola

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Fascinating. I will be in Cinque Terre in May. Looking forward to sites like these.

I haven't been there, but I know and I saw so many photographs of this Cinque Terre! But of course, every camera talks its own story, as yours dear Adrian, these are fantastic. You captured them so nicely and you made a wonderful compositions. Once again fascinated me Cinque Terre!

Thank you,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Have fun there Toad. The villages are pretty quiet so don't expect much of a night-life... but it's definately worth the visit. Stunning scenery.

Thanks for the comments Nia. It's difficult to take photos that don't just look like everybody else's photos, because there are only certain places you can stand to shoot from.

It's been quite interesting for me to discover that basically the whole world knows about Cinque Terre except for Australia. I hadn't heard of it before the Italian friend I was going to visit in Parma told me to stop there on my way to visit him, and none of my Australian friends or family had heard of it either. Yet almost everybody from other countries I've spoken to seems very familiar with it.

The closest I got was an Australian friend of mine (who is from an Italian family) who looked at the photos and said "I've seen other people take photos of this place, where is it?".

Very strange considering just how many Australians travel to Europe and how many Italians live in Australia. It feels like somebody's trying to keep it a secret, or maybe it's just me and my friends live in an information black hole.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Kombisaurus Wrote:Have fun there Toad. The villages are pretty quiet so don't expect much of a night-life... but it's definately worth the visit. Stunning scenery.

Thanks for the comments Nia. It's difficult to take photos that don't just look like everybody else's photos, because there are only certain places you can stand to shoot from.

It's been quite interesting for me to discover that basically the whole world knows about Cinque Terre except for Australia. I hadn't heard of it before the Italian friend I was going to visit in Parma told me to stop there on my way to visit him, and none of my Australian friends or family had heard of it either. Yet almost everybody from other countries I've spoken to seems very familiar with it.

The closest I got was an Australian friend of mine (who is from an Italian family) who looked at the photos and said "I've seen other people take photos of this place, where is it?".

Very strange considering just how many Australians travel to Europe and how many Italians live in Australia. It feels like somebody's trying to keep it a secret, or maybe it's just me and my friends live in an information black hole.
Dear Adrian, I didn't mean that these photographs look like others, I said that I saw many photographs of this village but every photographer has its own story! It means everybody else's photos are different. And also I added you caught a wonderful composition, too. And I loved them, they were all amazing. And now, I can understand how difficult to take them too. You did great. By the way you know, I lived in Milan, Italy a few years ago. I wished to visit there, but I didn't have time at that moment, I could visited only Venice. Maybe in the future. This village actually should be visited by photographers, artists,... it is so inspirational place too, like a fairy tale town! Especially during night under the clear sky. It is amazing.

You are welcome,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Beautiful Adrian - I heard about this place about three weeks ago - so nice to see your pictures.

Canon stuff.

Great photos Kombi,

and I have heard the name 'La Spezia' but not knowingly seen photo's of it.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Amazing: like a bit of Lindos in Rhodes fell into Robin Hood's Bay in Yorkshire; likewise, I've never been there either..which I only put down to having too many other places to get to, as it looks grand. One for my future though by the looks of.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Toad
Feb 22, 2012, 15:21
Last Post by Toad
Jul 29, 2011, 11:23
Last Post by Toad
Jun 21, 2011, 15:38