Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

City Street.

Here is an image of a city street, once again, Edinburgh, where I hope I have learned the lessons from your previous critiques of my cityscapes.
This image is a more recent one, shot in raw format (for which I had an original to work from) and I have tried to incorporate the advice you knowledgeable chaps have imparted. Thank you for your good advice.

Nikon D80, 1/250 sec, f8, ISO 100, 27mm lens equivalent.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Big improvements show John, slight crit, pic taken July, great weather, warm it up a bit? Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

Nice image, and I agree with Ed's suggestion (but please note, "a bit"!).

Cheers.
Philip

I see what you are both saying, but I set the colour balance on the sunny side of the street for a neutral white. If I warm it up then that colour balance will be wrong. I am not saying the colour balance should be as I set it, just explaining the reason it is like that. I'll go back and play with the original.

Here are some alternatives.
The first is as shot - 4650K

The second is my original, with the white set from the top of the surgery front - 5000K

Taking a reading of white from above the door on the right - 7400K - is too warm for my liking.

The best setting to my eyes, probably what you guys thought when you saw the original, is Lightroom's Daylight setting - 5500K

Do you agree?

I do, John (but lift the shadows, as you did for Post #1).

Cheers.
Philip

And straighten up the middle. good finnish.

If you use Levels, the Gray pen, and click on the lamppost, same effect. Ed.

To each his own!

All I did with these ones is take the original raw file and mess with the colour balance. No straightening, cropping, sharpening, or any other corrections. If I was producing a finished image then everything I did to the first attempt I would include. Regarding the Gray Pen. If I have an image with no white I will use it, but if there is a measureable white, I prefer to use that. There are so many grays out there (blue grays, greeny grays, etc), you have to be very careful. I did use the pen all the time, but now I do most of my work in Lightroom, which doesn't have the pen.

My effort. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

That looks very realistic - good work, Ed. Smile

Cheers.
Philip

That's a good one, Ed. White balance looks around 5500K and with the shadows lifted. Excellent.

Ta both.
John I sampled the front door as gray, this is the result.

Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

Thanks, Ed. Yes, the ideal neutral gray is white in shade. The gray eyedropper always sets the R, G and B to the same values, which is how I did it when I was using Photoshop as my primary software. I tend now to only use Photoshop for image manipulation, such as correcting converging verticals, spot healing, cloning, masking and the like. All the tricky stuff.

Grasshopper returns with enlightenment. I went back to the original raw file, and with the knowledge and advice imparted, I have produced this finished image.

Definately cooking by gas John. Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

Fantastic shot!!! Really nice!

(Jan 27, 2016, 03:08)Jeffbridge Wrote:  Fantastic shot!!! Really nice!

Thank you. We got there in the end.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by MrB
Oct 9, 2017, 10:51
Last Post by webber
Aug 4, 2016, 13:14
Last Post by MrB
Feb 16, 2016, 12:16