Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Coaster Triptych

Here's something that I have in mind as a possible "fine art" print, to be sold as a set of three and matted roughly like this:

[Image: 1238520830_u2SL9-L.jpg]
(slightly larger)

I have some others that I can use as singles as well.

Any and all thoughts, feedback, and to-shreds-ripping will be appreciated.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I don't really see any reason to rip it up. Its a good solid effort. Great color. Composition across the 3 frames is excellent with the first frame leading the viewer into the complexity, and the final frame "capping" the photo - and spinning the viewer back into it again rather than letting him go. All the blue metal is within the boundaries of the red and the 3 frames hang together very well. First class effort, I would say.

If I had any quibble, it would be that the blue in the center frame doesn't quite match the other 2 frames. I like the gradient, but it might link it somewhat better if the darkest blue in the gradient matched the blue in other 2 frames exactly. That would tie it all together just that little bit better.

Triptychs are very commercially desirable in the photo fine art world as well.

Thanks Rob, I agree about the blues not matching and will certainly fix that when I do my higher-resolution scans. I'm trying to decide which tones I'll try to keep, whether its the more saturated sky with less differentiation of the supports that I see in the side photos, or the darker supports with the paler sky of the central image. The three photos have to match, but I like both renderings.

When I'm looking at these three together I have to remind myself that the middle photo is the same size as the ends. I perceive the lighter colour as being a slightly smaller square…

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I like it, and have the same comment on the middle blue. How's it look in Mono?

If the two outer ones have drop shadows, then the centre one need not be smaller. But it will look farther away. Maybe. :/

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

[Image: 1240365949_WxqLM-S.jpg] [Image: 1240366490_MmEXF-S.jpg] [Image: 1240366197_8Sup4-S.jpg]

I intentionally used different B&W conversions to get a sampling of different looks, and I have to say that none of them grab me. But I frequently suffer from an inability to imagine things being different from how I first saw them.

I think these lose for not having the color.

I have to agree.

I've tried converting some other images into B&W – mostly ones that have some serious colour balance issues. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I haven't really liked those in mono, either. But I need to figure out if it's that I don't like the colour to B&W conversion from film, or if it's simply a matter of GI-GO.

I need to get this figured out before the next trip so that I bring the right film types, but perhaps 120 and 135 formats aren't similar enough that I can draw comparisons. Time to go through the archives, I suppose.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Irma
Feb 24, 2008, 01:31