Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Confederate Line

Taken today at a Civil War Re-enactment, click for larger picture.

[Image: 31711613706_38c395f040_b.jpg]

How do they know if they are supposed to fall over dead? Sorry, that was my first thought lol

Great photo Craig. Not much to critique but if anything, I might crop the left side to eliminate the guy thats facing the camera. Also your sig could blend more but I know that's the way you like it. Smile

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Yeah, the sig doesn't do this shot any favors. The guy looking towards camera bothers me too.... I can probably find another shot where he isn't (I shot over 150).

EnglishBob Wrote:(I shot over 150).

Start postin dude. Big Grin

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Its a nice capture, Craig. Super smoke effect.

I never know what to look for in these re-enactment photos because I don't know much about what it should "really" look like. I always assumed everybody in these battles would fire together in a line - but maybe that was the Victorian British method of battle - and the civil war was completely different.. Any military experts out there like to comment?

Lol.. just watch the move "The Patriot" starring Mel Gibson. Big Grin

The large Civil war battles were forught with skirmish lines that would move and advance and charge each other. By the end of the war the battles were usually fought with guerilla style hit and run tactic on the part of the Confederates.

The American Civil war was s sign of things to come in "modern" warfare.

I like your B&W conversion... one can appreciate a lot of details in the large size... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I know that i dont comment much on pics , but i have to tell you that i really like this one.
And to me the guy looing at the camera isnt looking at the camera he looks scarred and its like he is looking for some help.

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

After going through around 12 shots fo this particular line... he is turned talking to his neighbour in just about all of them!

I have better shots of them firing the muskets, but there isn't as much smoke and you can see the crowd of onlookers in modern dress in teh background... might need some composition work to get a better effect.

Thanks for the comments Irma and Drake.

Aperture and mono really convey the mood; yet they look to me a little..relaxed! I must stop myself doing the equivalent of looking for the wristwatch in Ben Hur here. I do really like the sense of movement around the flag, and the tones are great here.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Craig,

That is a really great capture. I like everything about it... conversion, capture, crop.. the works. Nicely done.

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

Thanks Guys... I am half tempted to re-work it and reduce the amount of grain I added... seems a little heavy now I've looked at it so many times.

Very good shot in my humble opinion, very atmospheric

Cheers
David

Thanks Smile

I still love to shoot re-enactments.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by kNox
Aug 25, 2014, 08:05