Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cool Gel

Hi! Went into stockholm city today and picked up a few acessories for my elinchrom strobes, Among them where a filter holder and a pack with color gels.

Here is my first setup using gels.

Setup.

Background: Lasotlite skypanel with the black frabric.
For the setup i used a ironboard with a black nylonfabric and a sheet of clear glas.

Key:90x120cm softbox on boom straight above the clock
Accent light:Softbox 100x100cm camera right
BG:21cm reflector with a 30 degree grid on and a blue gel attached.
Fill:Foamcore sheet camera left

[Image: casio_gel.jpg]

PP:
Usual color correction and tweaks.
Slighty cropped
added vignette
cloned out the hard edge between the bg and the glas sheet

C&C most welcome.

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Paul - The picture link isn't working for me.

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Fixed. Big Grin

Paul, thanks for including all the details. Photographing such a reflective object is a real challenge, and it's nice to know that it's not as easy as you make it look.

(Your subject is suspiciously unscratched.)

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

This is the first time I read about gels in lighting. I had to look up the meaning and what they do... From what I read they are great. Are they mainly use in tabletop photography or you can use them also for portraits?

I like your picture a lot, and the reflection makes it look very interesting. I like a lot the blue of the background too. Did you take any picture without the gels to see the difference?

Thanks a lot for giving info about your setup, it is always very interesting... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Matthew:Yes its a challenge to be able to get the shot at the angle you want. Either you change the lights or you change the angle... since it was quite l8 i went for the laterBig Grin
The reason i got no refelction of the glass(well if you look closely you see the accent light reflection in the lower right corner) and still have the watch illumnated is due to the 90x120cm sb that is positoned exactly above the clock.The watch is fairly new so i havent had the oppertunity to scratch it yet.Big Grin

Irma:Yes Gels are great for setting the mood. Actually i got it mostly for portraits, this way i can use a grey/black bg and get any color i want!
I only got a shot with only the accent light(one of the first frames when i positoned the lights), and the bg is white. I changed it too black when i checked the bg light, the gels works much better on dark/black material. They looked to washed out when i used the white bg.

Here is a shot straight from the camera with only accent light (i changed the position for the final shot)

Please note that i changed the setup description. (it was late when i posted so i didnt really think straight Big Grin)

The Key is he softbox straight above the clock 90x120cm, its the one that illuminates the clock. The 100x100cm sb camera right is acting like a accent light, providing highlights.
/Paul L.

That is a big difference Paul!!

I really admire all what you have learned about lighting in photography. Your pictures have always had high quality but with the time you become better and better. Smile And the other thing I appreciate the most is that you share your information and always help with lighting problems.
That is very kind of you... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thanx Irma!

Your to kind.Smile

/Paul L.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Petographer
Aug 26, 2005, 18:59