Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Critique Please

Hi can you critique this please
Focal length 67mm, F13, ISO100, 5.3 seconds
Thank you in advance
Wendy

Attached Files Image(s)

Really like the scene you chose to capture... and at night too.

I have made a few adjustments ... -0.34EV warmed up the WB added a tiny bit of clarity, raised the shadows and dropped the highlights a little.

The changes are quite subtle but see if you like them? It is your image, and what you like is what counts!Smile

I would also say to you to be aware of what is in your frame when you are composing the shot.... the tree in the top right is a distraction and adds nothing to the image... to remove it and leave the boat rigging would take quite a bit of work and the result may not be perfect. Perhaps you could have moved to frame the yacht as a focal point which would have put the foliage into context... or moved to frame without the yacht at all? It's something most of us think about (and often forget!!) when framing ... if you get it right it really reduces the PP to save it.

BTW... I know the docks... I used to come there in my boat when I was part of the team that built the 360 Cinema and the underground car park nearby opposite the round Lloyds building... I lived in Yates's when not working Big Grin

Anyway, see what you think.

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

(Mar 1, 2015, 14:08)Rolf Wrote:  Really like the scene you chose to capture... and at night too.

I have made a few adjustments ... -0.34EV warmed up the WB added a tiny bit of clarity, raised the shadows and dropped the highlights a little.

The changes are quite subtle but see if you like them? It is your image, and what you like is what counts!Smile

I would also say to you to be aware of what is in your frame when you are composing the shot.... the tree in the top right is a distraction and adds nothing to the image... to remove it and leave the boat rigging would take quite a bit of work and the result may not be perfect. Perhaps you could have moved to frame the yacht as a focal point which would have put the foliage into context... or moved to frame without the yacht at all? It's something most of us think about (and often forget!!) when framing ... if you get it right it really reduces the PP to save it.

BTW... I know the docks... I used to come there in my boat when I was part of the team that built the 360 Cinema and the underground car park nearby opposite the round Lloyds building... I lived in Yates's when not working Big Grin

Anyway, see what you think.

Kind regards

Rolf
Thank you Rolf for taking the time to look, I enjoyed the evening until it started raining, I have so much to learn but love all your comments and what you did only wish the rain had held off longer. Will go again and concentrate more on the composition.
Wendy

LOL! That's one the reasons I spent so much time in Yates's... it is a maritime climate for sure!

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

(Mar 1, 2015, 14:35)Rolf Wrote:  LOL! That's one the reasons I spent so much time in Yates's... it is a maritime climate for sure!

Kind regards

Rolf

I don't know the area very well is Yates a pub or something?

(Mar 1, 2015, 15:08)Moriarty Wrote:  
(Mar 1, 2015, 14:35)Rolf Wrote:  LOL! That's one the reasons I spent so much time in Yates's... it is a maritime climate for sure!

Kind regards

Rolf

I don't know the area very well is Yates a pub or something?

It's a Wine Lodge not far away...

Kind regards

Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Bit different, liked the detail/quality, on the brick wall, straightened the uprights. Good series. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Wendy, you could bring some detail out of the shadows, but don't overdo it. Similarly, sharpen but don't over-sharpen. Use gentle and subtle adjustments, repeating if needed.

Cheers.
Philip

(Mar 1, 2015, 15:48)EdMak Wrote:  Bit different, liked the detail/quality, on the brick wall, straightened the uprights. Good series. Ed.
Hi Ed
love what you have done with this, How do you do that and what software are you using?
Regards
Wendy

(Mar 1, 2015, 16:58)MrB Wrote:  Wendy, you could bring some detail out of the shadows, but don't overdo it. Similarly, sharpen but don't over-sharpen. Use gentle and subtle adjustments, repeating if needed.

Cheers.
Philip

Hi Philip
I love what you have done I will have another go at editing the original, I have lots to learn. What software are you using. Thank you for taking the time to omment
Regards
Wendy

(Mar 2, 2015, 01:56)Moriarty Wrote:  ... What software are you using ...
Regards
Wendy

Wendy, I use mainly PaintShop Pro X6 for JPEG image processing.

Cheers.
Philip

I use Photoshop CS4E, and let Camera Raw do a lot of the adjusting automatically, fine tune from there. I do have a lot of experience in wet/conventional photography, mainly B & W, which helps. Regards. Ed.

To each his own!

(Mar 2, 2015, 04:00)EdMak Wrote:  I use Photoshop CS4E, and let Camera Raw do a lot of the adjusting automatically, fine tune from there. I do have a lot of experience in wet/conventional photography, mainly B & W, which helps. Regards. Ed.

Thank you to you both for comments etc
Regards
Wendy

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Aug 19, 2017, 03:37