Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Critique please

Its my local photography society competition hand in, tomorrow night. 2 prints and 3 projected images. These are the digital projected images I'm submitting. Your thoughts, please

Attached Files Image(s)

I do like, especially the second and third. Bit confused by the extra moon in the first image. You might find a judge that is also confused will mark it down over that. They need to find something! Love the bowls. For me its difficult to judge between the fireworks and the bowls. Both excellent and have impact. You should do well. Let us know.

I don't have much to say about first two, but I really love your fireworks.

Good luck and let us know the results Smile

This might not have been your intention but, with the huge round object in the sky on the left plus the big moon, the first image gives me the impression of a landscape of an alien world, far far away. The soft, smooth, lustrous texture of the rocks reflecting the cyan sky adds to that impression - I like it.
The second one is a very creative and effective still-life, resulting in a well-balanced abstract image of real objects - my favorite of the three.
The fireworks shot is very good in capturing the explosions, but the overall colour balance is not quite right, in my opinion - it needs moving away from its yellow bias more towards blue, if it was night-time. If it were mine I would also increase the contrast, so that the trees and figures became darker silhouettes, and increase the saturation of the firework colours to compensate for these other changes.

Just my opinions, of course.

Philip

I really like how the colors in the bowl photograph pop and are crisp. Enjoy the others as well.

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

First two not my cup of tea, nothing wrong with them, just me.

Fireworks a bit out or colour, but excellent Pic, this is as I see it, but, you were there, (Fortunately) Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

So.....How did you do?

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

I used Camera Raw initially, then CS4 adjustments. Ed.

To each his own!

(Jan 22, 2014, 15:43)EdMak Wrote:  I used Camera Raw initially, then CS4 adjustments. Ed.

That was actually directed to Ferenc, as in, how did you images fare?

2HowardsPhoto.biz

On the bright side, I have 2 more posts!! Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

like the bowls best.

I really like one and two, especially the bowls, they're superb.

Afraid the fireworks don't do anything for me.

Regards

Coachline.

I'd like to thank you all for your comments. Its really good to hear what other people think of your work, especially if it leads to upping ones game. The first image is called Alien Shore and I wanted to create a vision of what it might look like on a fictitious moon somewhere out there in space.

The bold were simply the result of me experimenting with light sources and creating a graze effect across the tops of the bowls.

The comments on the fireworks image really got me thinking as it was assumed that the light balance had been modified. The image is largely as shot except for a slight tweak here and there. The light temperature is warm because the venue was light by tungsten flood lights, which in turn illuminated the smoke of the pyrotechnics.

Once again, thank you all for your critique. - much appreciated

regards

F

I really like your second picture, it's something I would place on my wall!

You still didn't say, what did you do in the contest? Smile

(Jan 27, 2014, 04:16)kNox Wrote:  I really like your second picture, it's something I would place on my wall!

Sorry, I forgot to say that it will be the first Tuesday in February that i find out how I did. the judge will give them an individual mark out of 20, with one 20 being given for the best image of the night. I'm hoping to get a high teen for the bowls and probably mid teens for the other 2.

regards

F

(Jan 27, 2014, 15:24)Ferenc Wrote:  
(Jan 27, 2014, 04:16)kNox Wrote:  I really like your second picture, it's something I would place on my wall!

Sorry, I forgot to say that it will be the first Tuesday in February that i find out how I did. the judge will give them an individual mark out of 20, with one 20 being given for the best image of the night. I'm hoping to get a high teen for the bowls and probably mid teens for the other 2.

regards

F

Best of luck! I can certainly see the bowls one scoring high marks.

I went to my photography club last night for the judges scores on the images I submitted. I didn't do too badly!!
The Alien Shore image scored 15 as expected. The fireworks images scored 17 and the bowls image won the competition and scored 20.

Happy Boy!!

(Feb 5, 2014, 17:29)Ferenc Wrote:  I went to my photography club last night for the judges scores on the images I submitted. I didn't do too badly!!
The Alien Shore image scored 15 as expected. The fireworks images scored 17 and the bowls image won the competition and scored 20.

Happy Boy!!

Whoo Hoo!!!!
Congratulations, Ferenc!!!!!

2HowardsPhoto.biz

Fantastic result. Congratulations, Ferenc.

(Feb 5, 2014, 17:29)Ferenc Wrote:  I went to my photography club last night for the judges scores on the images I submitted. I didn't do too badly!!

Happy Boy!!

Called it! Congratulations, you deserved it!

Excellent. congrats. Ed.

To each his own!

Ferenc - it's good to see that the judge agreed with most of us here! It's a great winning image.

Well done!

Philip

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Aug 19, 2017, 03:37