Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Crosses in the dessert at sunset

Good Day Everyone, This was taken outside of Jerome Arizona about 35 miles west of Sedona. It was snowing over the mountains but the sun was setting just above the mountains. I saw the crosses in my rearview mirror and the sunset, pulled over and jumped out of the car to get the shot as it was disappearing fast. Was surprised it came out as it was handheld at 1/30th F5.6 ISO 250 70mm shot off the meter. Taken with a Nikon D80 28-105mm lens.

I would have put this in the great shots forum but I was very unhappy with the blue cast and the look of the top clouds. They look almost fake and while they actually did look like that I'm not crazy about the way they look. I was struggling to crop this as I was going to take out part of the sky and then realized in the right top corner there is a bird in flight, which was kind of cool, as the heavens spoke.

I did some post editing in PS but despite my efforts I couldn't lose the "fake looking" clouds and the blue cast on the mountains without completely washing out the sky and losing the effect of the sunset. Thoughts please!!!!!! It has been a long time since I worked in Photoshop so maybe I am missing something! Thanks!!!! Di

Attached Files Image(s)

(Mar 29, 2014, 21:54)dianebaughn Wrote:  Good Day Everyone, This was taken outside of Jerome Arizona about 35 miles west of Sedona. It was snowing over the mountains but the sun was setting just above the mountains. I saw the crosses in my rearview mirror and the sunset, pulled over and jumped out of the car to get the shot as it was disappearing fast. Was surprised it came out as it was handheld at 1/30th F5.6 ISO 250 70mm shot off the meter. Taken with a Nikon D80 28-105mm lens.

I would have put this in the great shots forum but I was very unhappy with the blue cast and the look of the top clouds. They look almost fake and while they actually did look like that I'm not crazy about the way they look. I was struggling to crop this as I was going to take out part of the sky and then realized in the right top corner there is a bird in flight, which was kind of cool, as the heavens spoke.

I did some post editing in PS but despite my efforts I couldn't lose the "fake looking" clouds and the blue cast on the mountains without completely washing out the sky and losing the effect of the sunset. Thoughts please!!!!!! It has been a long time since I worked in Photoshop so maybe I am missing something! Thanks!!!! Di
Sorry, Here is the original before Post Processing.

Attached Files Image(s)

Diane, prefer the original, but, you were there. This is how I see it. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

(Mar 30, 2014, 08:11)EdMak Wrote:  Diane, prefer the original, but, you were there. This is how I see it. Ed.

What did you do to it? You have an amazing eye!

First impression was a Western Film start, Boot Hill ?.
Opened in Camera Raw, Clicked, Auto, few slight adjustments, then opened in P/S. Sharpened mainly, 4/5 mts. in total. Regards. Ed.

To each his own!

(Mar 31, 2014, 03:03)EdMak Wrote:  First impression was a Western Film start, Boot Hill ?.
Opened in Camera Raw, Clicked, Auto, few slight adjustments, then opened in P/S. Sharpened mainly, 4/5 mts. in total. Regards. Ed.

Ed, Thanks, guess I need to play with the raw files! LOL! Di

Hi Di (Oh and Ed Smile )

What a fabulous collaborative effort. Smile

Just a little bit different, but, "Welcome to the Hotel California"? Well maybe?

Cheers.

Phil.

(Apr 1, 2014, 15:45)Phil J Wrote:  Hi Di (Oh and Ed Smile )

What a fabulous collaborative effort. Smile

Just a little bit different, but, "Welcome to the Hotel California"? Well maybe?

Cheers.

Phil.

HaHa Thanks Phil!!! I am loving all this collaboration! :-) Hotel California, good one! LOL! DI

The edits are cool, but I like the original picture best! Congrats, Diane! Smile

I like the second re-work. It has a more pleasing color balance than the first.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

(Apr 3, 2014, 05:00)kNox Wrote:  The edits are cool, but I like the original picture best! Congrats, Diane! Smile

Thanks kNox, It truly was beautiful !Di

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EnglishBob
Dec 3, 2018, 22:00
Last Post by MrB
May 31, 2017, 14:45