Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dead Bride

Dead Bride is about sudden change, about confusion, and about the things that we can't live without...

[Image: Dead%20Bride%20web%20size.jpg]

I like very much your picture... Excellent details to support the story. The detail of the gravestone? great! Meaningful as well to me are the red shoes and the black purse. So much to think about and see in this picture Toad... Smile Could it be that this picture falls into the category of surrealism?

Your picture reminds me the movie... Corpse Bride. I like the movie very much.

Thanks a lot for sharing!

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Irma: Thanks very much for you encouragement and support as always.

I actually am a bit surprised that there were no other comments on this one - even if just to say "Toad - you are on the wrong track with this one...". I personally felt the image was quite strong, and it does feature a pretty girl.

I'm accustomed to a lot of the regulars here *not* commenting on my work including some that I regularly encourage with my comments - but still, it is a bit disheartening.

As an aside, this one was the first selection made by a jury putting together a gallery show for 2012.

I was about to make my second comment on this one because it is a picture that has very much to talk about.

In Mexico when you will marry they tell you "Asi que ya te vas al matadero?" So then are you going to the slaughter house? because at least at the times I married first time, already 30 years ago, marriage was kind of death for women. You would pass from the guardianship of your father to the tutelage of your husband. And it is like this, sudden changes and confusion.

So then, to me, the picture has a lot of meaning, it strikes in personal feelings. I can tell that things have changed greatly, good thing for women, but still there are some regions in Mexico, and most probably some other countries as well, where marriage means dead to women.

Sorry to give a bit of my personal experience in this one, but I want to tell you that my comment and my sentiments to this images are genuine, I really like very much your picture.... Smile

Good luck with this one, Toad! Smile

Paul Cezanne

Irma: your experience is directly relevant, and your insights are greatly appreciated. Dead Bride was done during this year's Día de los Muertos. The Bride's tombstone had vierbiage on it that echoed your sentiments closely.

Work of art. Lots to talk about.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Toad Wrote:I actually am a bit surprised that there were no other comments on this one
I have noticed quite a lot that I don't receive some posts until much later than I should. This is the first time I have seen this one and, (e.g.)Zig has usually answered other posts before I receive them on my comp. I nearly always click 'show recent posts' when I come on line and assume that is it. It would seem not to be so.
As for the photo, I found it rather strange. :/ Good but strange.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

NT73 Wrote:As for the photo, I found it rather strange. :/ Good but strange.
Great - just what I was hoping for. Thanks

Thanks Don.

Been away for a few days.
The sloping horizon makes the shot; as do the posters, the graffito and those ace dark areas.
(Great legs).

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Oh!... Toad... you can't imagine how I miss not to be en el Dia de los Muertos... I have ten years without that fiesta that I love so much! I am surprised that even without knowing it was a costume for that celebration, I recognized my roots... so to say... Wink I hope you have more pictures of that day. I would love to see them.

NT It happens to me as well. I always click the Show recent post and sometimes there are just a few. When I visit the index or other forums I see that there are more. It seems to me the Show recent post works with time... probably the recent posts in the last 12 hours or so. That is why sometimes you don't get to see all.

Paul Cezanne

Irma Wrote:I hope you have more pictures of that day. I would love to see them..
This was one: Momentito

It's an interesting if disturbing photo. The skull to the right is very powerful, and with it combined with the flowers it immediately speaks to me of Mexico and its culture. What I find most powerful is the pose of the woman, who seems eternally fixed in place. Everything about her pose is strongly compelling.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thanks Matt. I am happy that you find it disturbing. If you found it pleasant or pretty, I would have really missed the mark. I get into trouble with my own ego all the time and I am sorry to be a baby about complaining about feedback. This was my first experience of el Dia de los Meurtos and it really shook me - the attitude towards death and los Meurtos is so different to ours that I found myself hugely focused and I think that I got some of my most personally satisfying stuff in a long time. it's funny how it works sometimes. I am sure that someone more familiar with the fiesta (like Irma) would have done it completely different.

Toad Wrote:
Irma Wrote:I hope you have more pictures of that day. I would love to see them..
This was one: Momentito
Me too!

WOW! These are great dear Robert, so artistic, I'm impressed so much, well done,

Thank you,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Thank you, nia!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Aug 22, 2020, 18:11