Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Digital Photo Frames

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone uses digital photo frames, or is planning to buy one? My brother told me the other day that he ordered an 8 inch one, and it'll be interesting to see what he thinks about it.

One thing I really miss from film photography is just the ability to pick up an album or prints and flick through it. I suppose I could fire up Irfanview or a similar image viewer and browse through a slideshow, but (1) I need to be in front of my computer, and (2) it's very daunting to face folders upon folders containing thousands of photos. Nothing quite like picking up our "Vacation to Fiji" album and then leafing through the pages. Anyway, I digress.

The photo frames seem to be coming down in price - I've seen 7 inch ones as cheap as $120 AUD around here, and it's tempting to buy one just to see how it integrates into our picture viewing habits. It would be kinda cool to have your photo collection randomly displaying away on your coffee table...

Do you think your home would benefit from one?

I've read mixed reviews on them, some of the cheaper version have problems unless you manually resize/ stretch your images before loading them onto the frame.

You could always use a DVD and TV, most DVD utilities (Nero, EasyDVD etc) now have features to put a slideshow on a DVD.

Alastair says "Visit My Blog?"

The biggest problem with slide shows, digital frames, DVD presentations and computer viewing of photos IMO is the contrived nature of the experience. When you pick up a photo album, you can skim it or exhaustively pour over it. You control what you look at and how long that you spend looking at each photo. You also don't have to move to a special viewing location and wait for somebody to set the show up. With an electronic presentation, you generally have no control over the pace or content of the show.

On the plus side - electronic presentations have usually been properly edited. Anybody remember sitting through hours of someone's unedited videocam footage or vacation slides? If a proper edit has been done and transitions/music added, a digital presentation can be a value added experience.

I don't want to run an entire slide show every time I want to look at one particular shot, however. You also need the "stills",

What I would like would be a "real" digital frame with a proper frame and matte - and a decent 11x14 screen in the middle. I would like to load a dozen or so photos of the right aspect ratio and resolution and be able to set the frame to either cycle the photos or just show a selected one. Then I could hang it on the wall, and change my art display as desired without having to go through a long and expensive framing experience.

Sounds reasonable - doesn't it? Anybody ever see such a thing? Maybe, I should build one.

Good insights Mr T and alastair... I wasn't aware of the resizing thing - I would have assumed that it would be smart enough to do it automatically. One more thing to look out for I guess.

I'm pretty sure there are some out there that have the proper frame and matte - you just have to pay the price. Most of the cheap ones tend to look plasticky or apple'ish...

Just before xmas I bought a 'Proline' DVD Player (£20.00 sterling) at 'Comet.'
It plays among other formats. CD-RW Which I can load up with photo files (Jpeg) on the PC and just stick in the Player as is, and it plays them as a slideshow or through the CD file system singly. When you are bored then change them.
The optimum size is around 600x 400 pixels so it can hold a lot of pics.
And on a 40" lcd TV it looks far better than my old SVCD's on a CRT TV.
They look sharp and clear, but when I used higher res. it looks blurry.
I would imagine that you could use it with a 7" monitor as well.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Here's what I'm talkin' about. I knew there had to be one somewhere. Very expensive though.

http://www.photovu.com/pv1750.html

Maybe I am the only one still interested in this topic, but the idea of having a *real* digital frame of a decent size with matting etc without having to spend $800 appeals to me. It turns out that there are many people who have built their own digital frames from old laptops that have been trashed (but still work) or that are simply too old or underpowered. These can be made into proper digital frames with reasonably minimal effort and cost.

Here is one guy's how to tutorial.

http://digitalpictureframe.50webs.com/the-laptop.html

This is sure to be my next project. Just have to look around for someone giving away an old laptop...

That would be a fun and cool project . Let us know how it goes and how hard it really is . I didnt read any of the stuff on there. But i am sure that i know somone that could do this pretty easy..

........ Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s35450/1-13...tails.aspx

Just spotted this today. I don't know wether they ship to Oz but maybe?
No they don't sorry. Nearest is Channel Islands,, a bit too far for a weekend swim.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

My digital frame project is underway. I have an old laptop and a large LCD monitor to use as the "framed photo" - details to follow as they emerge.

He he cool Mr T... I definitely want to see how this one turns out.

I've got an old laptop but too bad the screen is cracked; otherwise it would have made a great project...

Well its done!! A 17" LCD monitor framed, matted and hanging on the wall, and serviced by a second-hand laptop. Looks and works great. I have enough photos of the process to do a "how-to " type article if you re interested, Jules...

[Image: Final.jpg]

[Image: piano.jpg]

P.S. The wide angle lens makes it look slightly crooked - its not!

My gosh Mr T, that looks absolutely fabulous! I'm certainly green with envy. I really like the effect of the mat.

I've seen some really nice 8 inch ones that look similar to yours, retailing for around $399 AUD - but my gosh - 17 inches?! Big Grin

Oh, and yes - an article is always welcome - you know the drill by now, Mr T. Big Grin

Wow! Toad... That looks really great!!
I would love to read and see how you did it... I don't know if it were possible for me to do it, since I don't know much about computers but I would definitely give it a try.

So many things one can do with something like this at home... Wink

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Simply awesome Mr Toad Big Grin

Canon stuff.

Very cool. I would be intersted in seeing the pics that you took too,

thanks for sharring .....

......... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Thanks people - I will put together an article on the project. I see there are a LOT of hits on this thread so maybe other people out there in cyber-land are also interested in a how-to. When I started it, I saw a lot of articles about how to convert a laptop to a digital frame, but none about actually using a large screen monitor (which I wanted) - so there was a bit of experimentation needed. It was surprisingly simple as a project - I know a bit about computers, but the computer aspect is very simple. I know next to nothing about construction of a device, however - and it worked well for me, so I would encourage others to do this project. It is a super way to show your work.

I cannot tell from the photo, but how deep is it from the front of the frame to the wall.
And is it powered by batteries. I can't see any wires hanging out.
It looks really professional Toad, well made. Maybe you could go into business selling them. Smile

Lumix LX5.

It is approximately 2.4" from front to back but it is actually composed of 2 frames - the back one somewhat smaller - so it only *appears* to be about 1 1/4" thick (an optical illusion). It plugs into the wall actually - but the wires go down through the wall behind the piano, and come out near the base (as does the VGA cable).

Thanks - I am very pleased with it (and I am NO craftsman when it comes to building).

Hehe, maybe you could make a business out of this, Mr T? Custom digital photo frames + installation? Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Aug 3, 2020, 06:59