Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Digital Photography Challenge #1

[Edit: I've started two challenges, and split the prize into two $25 Mr Gadget vouchers]
Ok, here this month's chance to to have some fun and win two $25 Mr Gadget vouchers. There are two challenges - one "Natural Image" challenge, and one "Digital Darkroom" challenge.

Quote:Natural Image Challenge #1
The challenge:

Submit a photo which fits the title "Appreciation".

Submission:

Submit your entry by uploading your photo to the gallery (under the appropriate section/album, titled "Natural Image Challenge #1"). You'll need to be a registered shuttertalk member to do so.

Large images will be automatically resized to 800x600, but keep images as close to those dimensions as possible so the photo can be appreciated in detail.

Each member can submit up to 2 entries.

Judging:

The winning image will be determined by the highest average score given by members. Voting will commence on the 23/9 and will close on 30/9, so it is advisable to submit your entries before then.

In the event of a tie, a decision will be made by the competition sponsor, Mr. Gadget.

Rules:

Entries into the "Natural Image" Challenges are designed to test the skill the photographer in using purely photographic techniques to achieve the desired images. Photos included in submissions must be taken during the period that the challenge is open for, and entries are limited to only basic forms of editing of the image.

Entries may be post-processed as long as the modification does not affect the integrity of the image, and is applied to the whole image. Spot editing (e.g. dodging, burining, cloning, selective blurring) is strictly prohibited.

Allowed modifications are outlined below:
* levels, hue/saturation, curves
* b&w conversion
* resizing, roatating and cropping
* noise reduction filters (unsharp mask etc.) and Gaussian blur

If possible, please retain EXIF info for JPEG submissions. A copy of the original image may be requested to validate entries.

Quote:Digital Darkroom Challenge #1
The challenge:

Submit a photo which fits the title "If you dont feel stressed, then you obviously have lost touch with the world". (Thanks Rufus!)

Submission:

Submit your entry by uploading your photo to the gallery (under the appropriate section/album, titled "Digital Darkroom Challenge #1"). You'll need to be a registered shuttertalk member to do so.

Large images will be automatically resized to 800x600, but keep images as close to those dimensions as possible so the photo can be appreciated in detail.

Each member can submit up to 2 entries.

Judging:

The winning image will be determined by the highest average score given by members. Voting will commence on the 23/9 and will close on 30/9, so it is advisable to submit your entries before then.

In the event of a tie, a decision will be made by the competition sponsor, Mr. Gadget.

Rules:

"Digital Darkroom" Challenges are designed to allow the photographer to best represent the concept or idea behind the photograph through advanced editing and digital darkroom techniques. Photos used in the submission must be taken during the period the challenge is open for. Image editing techniques are allowed, so long as they do not affect the overall integrity of image.

Entries must adhere to these rules:
* Combining images or elements from other images, graphics or clip art is not permitted
* Removing imperfections and minor distracting elements is from images is permitted
* However, creating or moving major elements of your photograph is not

If possible, please list the effects and changes perfomed in the comments/notes for your entry. A copy of the original image may be requested to validate entries.

Above all everyone, please enjoy yourselves and have fun!

Just a suggestion to update your signature to the this topic?

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

Ah, thanks dewy. Big Grin

Ok everyone! I've made it two challenges for this month, and split the prize between the two! Have fun!!

Did I miss something? Why are there two challenges? Not that it's a bad thing. Just curious.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

SOme people don't ahve Photo manipulation skills?

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

Just a bit of variety... one's catered towards photoshop users, the other is towards photographs without manipulation.

Very good idea to have two. Yes indeedy. Two is good. Yes. Smile

Cave canem

I think Rufus can enter the "Appreciation" contest easily, all we need is a picture of him wagging his tail Big Grin

Rufus can easily win both (yes, tail wagging included!), I'll have a try Wink

Ok, here's my first submision for the Natural Image Challenge.

[Image: normal_DSCF2702_1.JPG]

If you can't tell, he's appreciating a sausage. Smile
It was quite difficult getting him to stand still... he insisted on playing "run away from the photographer" just as I would achieve focus lock... Tongue

So who's actually thinking of entering this month's Digital Photography challenges? All I've heard so far is Mitch...

Me!

Cave canem

Me! I just remembered about it,
I'll see what I can do Smile

My entry is up....

Meanwhile....

I have suggestions for the next contest...

1) A Purist category, ie. no alteration whatsoever except cropping.

2) A Digital Art category, ie. no holds barred - but all content must be your own - and created during the allotted time.

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

I did indend for the Natural Image challenge to be a purist challenge, but perhaps I should make it more explicit. Thanks Roo and Cailean for your entries so far...

shuttertalk Wrote:I did indend for the Natural Image challenge to be a purist challenge, but perhaps I should make it more explicit.
It's amazing what you achieve just by changing the levels, etc.

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

How about the same subject but have two categories as Cailean suggested? Might give us an idea of how people think about the same subject.

Hey good idea, J... Smile

Now that's interesting - a before and after? The raw materials and the photographer's "vision"? I'll play along with that.

Yup, before and after. Not that I would compete unless it was a fairly broad subject, most of my shooting doesn't seem to fit into the challenges normally.

StudioJ Wrote:Yup, before and after. Not that I would compete unless it was a fairly broad subject, most of my shooting doesn't seem to fit into the challenges normally.

Haha... next challenge... "Hot babe on motorcycle" Smile

Haha very funny!

I haven't shot any babes on bikes for at least two weeks Tongue

Ok everyone! I've opened voting on the photos. Please stop by, vote/rate your favourite images, and leave comments where due!

At midnight 30 September, the highest rated photo in each category will win the Mr Gadget vouchers! Smile

If you haven't uploaded your sumission already, don't worry -- you can still do so.

Have fun!

I better submit soon before there's no time to vote <_>~