Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Doorway

Not a stunner, but a decisive moment, I thought, whilst in Oxford. Taken from a low viewpoint, just about getting away with f6-ish handheld at around 12mm on the 10-20mm. I wanted "looming, edgy, moody" to capture the themes(though what the themes are I can only vaguely put into words...hence the pic in place of the words I guess. I did start off with a lo-contrast conversion but dodged and burned to try and get the feel of mono emulsion with an orange filter, then imagined a rough estimate of around Grade IV, for those old enough to remember what I mean.
Sorry folks; feeling decidedly miserable today. Rolleyes

[Image: gatewaynewWEB.jpg]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Hi zig, nice shot.. but have you considered upping the contrast a little in photoshop, and also adding a little vignetting? I think these things would really draw the eye in down the perspective lines and in to the door where the man is standing.

Just a thought...

be honest... I can take it.
-

www.lukeray.com

I judged the contrast to be what I wanted, to be honest..though I'd probably darken the foreground. Nope to a vignette(aren't they some kind of curtain? Wink )...seriously, I wanted to keep all the peripheral lines unbroken. Thanks for the feedback though mate and a jolly big welcome to the boards btw!

(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

There is something about a figure at the end of leading lines that I always like - as if you are drawn towards the figure and need to know his/her story. Well done.

I like the photo, but I don't feel that the figure is particularly compelling. I'm not sure why, but I tend to look at the sky more than the door.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I think the human touch with the man in the door makes the picture not to be so cold, and gives interest.... however it is not what takes my eye in the picture, but the statues and broken windows...

As always Zig, beautiful bw treatment... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I'm thankful for this interesting response: I felt when I was taking the photo, that the stone figures were at least as important as the human one and that the feel of the pic for me was focusing on the idea of "transition"(ie, the doorway). I was drawn to the man's uncertainty about going through that door...and what with the stone figures looking down with almost an air of aloof comment..AND the idea that the man could not go anywhere else except through the door...well, it all seemed to be a moment that encapsulated "change" or "judgement" somehow.
Posting this pic has helped me "focus" a little on why this image faintly disturbs me, I guess; thanks for helping me explore it a little, guys. Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
May 13, 2008, 03:34