Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Duck on Newnans Lake

Went on a photo expedition today, and got some great ones.....I was at full zoom (all that my Nikon Coolpix P600 could do, fixed lens) and I can't believe I got this duck, because he was so far away. I really didn't know the quality until I got back home and put it on the computer. Anyway, enjoy, and feel free to comment if I need to address something wrong. This was at Newnans Lake in Gainesville, FL.

Attached Files Image(s)

Great capture Smile Pretty sure your "duck" is actually a Cormorant.

Very nice shot

(Feb 11, 2015, 21:24)czkid Wrote:  Went on a photo expedition today, and got some great ones.....I was at full zoom (all that my Nikon Coolpix P600 could do, fixed lens) and I can't believe I got this duck, because he was so far away. I really didn't know the quality until I got back home and put it on the computer. Anyway, enjoy, and feel free to comment if I need to address something wrong. This was at Newnans Lake in Gainesville, FL.

Nice capture, that's quite a zoom range on your P600. Looks like a superb 'take anywhere camera', and the kind I might well go for when I get tired of lugging heavier gear around.

Photography is a never-ending journey

Hi czkid... I like the subject and glad you "got it"
Can you drop me an email? If you click on my name it should take you to my details and the email address is there?

Have a great day

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

The print appears to me, over processed, and a bit too contrasty. Consider making it an upright. At zoom 516 mm, try and use a shutter speed at least the same as the zoom, ie, 1/516, or even faster, even if you have an image stabilizer. The ISO could easily have been increased to accommodate this.

If you want criticism, then it would be better on the Photo Critique section.

Like to see the original. Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

Thanks, Craig --- I rely on others to tell me what some things are. Looks, but, couldn't tell if it "quacked like a duck.............."

(Feb 11, 2015, 23:26)EnglishBob Wrote:  Great capture Smile Pretty sure your "duck" is actually a Cormorant.

Thanks, Ed. Point taken..........., and thanks kfor the advice on the print, also.

(Feb 12, 2015, 12:07)EdMak Wrote:  The print appears to me, over processed, and a bit too contrasty. Consider making it an upright. At zoom 516 mm, try and use a shutter speed at least the same as the zoom, ie, 1/516, or even faster, even if you have an image stabilizer. The ISO could easily have been increased to accommodate this.

If you want criticism, then it would be better on the Photo Critique section.

Like to see the original. Cheers. Ed.

Thank you for the vote of confidence.....As an amateur it really pumps me up when I get compliments on what I'm doing from the pros. The P600 has limitations for me already, because it is hard to hold the camera steady while you are "on the fly" and no tripod, etc and trying to do long distance with just 60 zoom (whatever the correct term is). But, it gets bumped and banged in my travels and still keeps on working. I love doing this stuff and getting the great "capture".

(Feb 12, 2015, 06:14)Plantsman Wrote:  
(Feb 11, 2015, 21:24)czkid Wrote:  Went on a photo expedition today, and got some great ones.....I was at full zoom (all that my Nikon Coolpix P600 could do, fixed lens) and I can't believe I got this duck, because he was so far away. I really didn't know the quality until I got back home and put it on the computer. Anyway, enjoy, and feel free to comment if I need to address something wrong. This was at Newnans Lake in Gainesville, FL.

Nice capture, that's quite a zoom range on your P600. Looks like a superb 'take anywhere camera', and the kind I might well go for when I get tired of lugging heavier gear around.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Plantsman
Jan 21, 2015, 06:57
Last Post by kNox
Mar 20, 2014, 01:42