Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

E-3 Day Two: Clowns

For my second day with the E-3, I went to the Santa Claus Parade with my brother and nieces. Given that they're all pretty good with search engines, I'll limit this message to photos of complete strangers. Big Grin

1 - Life in Prison
[Image: matthewpiers2007-180365-wehi.jpg]

I had a lousy shooting position that was decided by the gathering point rather than the light, but at least my aim was better than some people's. My position was at the very end of the route, when at lot of people are at the ends of their ropes.

And while the day is an enjoyable experience for many, it's also a long walk for the participants and a long wait for the crowd.

2 - Sad Clown #1
[Image: matthewpiers2007-180412-wehi.jpg]

3 - Sad Clown #2
[Image: matthewpiers2007-180415-wehi.jpg]

4 - Sad Clown #3
[Image: matthewpiers2007-180431-wehi.jpg]

Some of the best action was found away from the route. Looking for better light I'd point my camera in the exact wrong direction, and this little "Sad Clown" triptych is the result. With the exception of family photos, they're my favourites from today.

...and that ends my first weekend with the new camera. Five hundred photos later, I've been very happy with its performance but need to get used to its limitations. I'm getting more out-of-focus photos than usual as I experiment with the multiple focus points -- ten more than I usually use -- and learn the timing. When I pay attention my photos are better than ever before, but when I'm sloppy they're as bad as ever. The good news is that the feel and design of the camera is a blend of the best elements of the E-1 and E-510, with well-thought-out controls and a great viewfinder. It will be an easy camera to learn.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

wow, I love your sad clown. hard to make a choice if I had to, in the first one, his position in the frame gives the picture a lot of - what is that word, I am wanting to say - suspense maybe? Tension?

3 is photographically the best in my eyes, but doesn't have the cigarette to complement the a story.

Nice work!!

Uli

I like the story you are telling in your pictures Matt.
It is really nice to see how happy you are with your new camera... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Uli, I wish he'd held the cigarette up when he still had the expression as in SC #3 -- it would have been perfect. #2 isn't really needed, but it changes it from a pair of photos to a "series" Smile And the crop in #1 was to get rid of a distracting background element, but I really like the way it turned out. You're right, there is a lot of tension because we can't see what's ahead of him, but yet everything he needs is right there in his hand.

And in Toronto especially, to see the childhood figure of a clown smoking is a massive clash of icons.

Irma, thanks. I'm having a blast.

I found out this morning that these clowns are the biggest financial supporters of the parade. Each one -- and there were 175 this year -- paid $1000 to lead the first float. That's certainly a dedication that I can admire.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com