Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Egret & More

The reflection of a downtown building caught my eye as I was trying to get a good angle on this egret.

[Image: kak.egret.jpg]

Every January the city drains the downtown Riverwalk part of the San Antonio River for maintenance of the channel and to collect all of the folding chairs, silverware, plates, glassware, cellphones, keys and sunglasses lost (or thrown in) by tourists and restaurant patrons.
The Fiesta Mud King and Queen are also chosen at this time.

Fish and turtles etc are collected and relocated downstream while the aquatic birds have a feast on whatever remains in the isolated pools left behind, like in my photo. The city crews were relocating introduced tilapia until the State of Texas reminded them of the rules that say this destructive non-native fish is to be gutted (or eaten), not released back into the river. And the city was also told that they have not been in compliance with the required wildlife handling permits, which cost $20.

One of the most interesting egret photos I've ever seen. The juxtaposition of the bird and reflection is striking, but it's the ripples from the wading bird that really sells the shot.

Interesting story, too. Thanks for including it.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Wow, great photo - the reflections are great!

The story was wonderful too - thanks for sharing Keith.

Wow from me too Keith.. that's quite remarkable. Makes a fantastic backdrop for the bird.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Wonderful reflections really highlight the subject.

Ditto on the Wows , love it ! now get out there and catch them tilapia , thats some great eating !!!

....... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Rolf
Feb 18, 2015, 12:54
Last Post by Raoul
Jul 25, 2005, 09:51